Tone in different tunings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone in different tunings...

So I'm shredding on my Jackson DK2 in standard tuning and it's sounding great.

My question is, why does shredding not sound as good in DGCFAD tuning as opposed to EADGBE?

I feel like it's more muffled, blurry, or just not as tight as it was in standard tuning.

Obviously it's because I down tuned, but is there a way to keep the clarity that you get from standard? I would really like to have that in some leads I shred with in dropped.

PS I believe this is my first topic created here, lol. Registered awhile ago when I got my first Jackson, but never spent anytime here. I played a Fender Strat for 4 years, and finally bought the Jackson (best decision I've ever made), and love every second of it. \m/

Re: Tone in different tunings...

It's probably the reduced tension as a result of dropping the tuning down. A second guitar tuned and set up in D with the next gauge up string set is your solution... or at least an excuse to buy another guitar. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
      It's probably the reduced tension as a result of dropping the tuning down. A second guitar tuned and set up in D with the next gauge up string set is your solution... or at least an excuse to buy another guitar. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I see! Ok, a new guitar has been in mind for me already, and it's definitley going to be another Jackson.

Here's my question to your respone. Are you saying that I just need to have my guitar setup to DGCFAD and it should sound just fine? Because my Jackson was set to standard, so that's prolly why.

Another question too: Can I have the Fender Strat I play set to DGCFAD so it will sound better? Or will that not make a difference, because it doesn't have a floyd like my Jackson?

Comment

Maybe heavier gauge strings would keep some of the tension and tone you want...just an idea

Comment

How selfish of me. I forgot to welcome you to this forum! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

What bridge does your Strat have? Obviously if you have a hardtail bridge, you will be able to put it in another tuning with relative ease. I'm not too familiar with how vintage trems and other Fender trems work though. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I've been a Floyd and other double locking trem user/abuser since I moved up from acoustic guitar.

Well, because all my electric guitars have double locking trems, it doesn't make sense for me to keep all of them in standard tuning. I do play in a few different tunings, which is why I have multiple guitars, with each one specifically set up for a specific tuning with a specific gauge of strings and having the Floyd level. Of course, when you change string gauges and put guitars in a different tuning, you may have to make minor intonation adjustments and truss rod adjustments, or maybe not.

Your DK2 and your Strat are both set up in standard? Choose one to stay in standard, and if you feel the need to play in D as often as standard, then set up the other guitar in D with the next string gauge up.

Your DK2 was probably set up with 9-42 gauge strings in standard. I don't know about you, but that seems like it would be a little "loose" in D. Perhaps you'd enjoy a 10-46 gauge set in D, or if you want heavier wound strings, try a 10-52 set.

Comment

Awesome reply bud!

My DK2 is always in standard, and my Strat is always in dropped. I use both GHS TNTs in the two guitars. That's a 10-52 gauge. However I think once I get one more guitar I will definitley have it setup to DGCFAD, because my trem on the Fender is just a standard one, and the new one with a floyd will work better.

Thanks for the help big time. This place rocks!

Comment

Oh, you ARE already using heavier strings than I anticipated. I've currently got my KE3 in D but I've been lazy and just kept my usual 10-46 gauge set on there. I did buy some 10-52 strings to put on there in D but I haven't got around to putting them on there yet. I admit that the 10-46 is a little "loose" in D, but bending is sooooooooooo easy!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] So now, I generally prefer hybrid sets to keep the low strings' tension up while slightly reducing the tension on the higher strings to make it easier to bend.

Perhaps you want 11-56 or something. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

It's like NOP said in his first post. Different tunings need different setup.

I use 11-52 gauge for D and (if so) 10-48 for E or Eb. A 48 gauge string is too loosened for D tuning IMO. The sound is just not great to me and strings are colliding into fretboard and pickups.

Try checking your intonation, because it may be the cause for your strange sound. Intonation in D may vary very much like the one on E.
                I need completely different intonation setup with D tuning that with E.

Comment

you have to even it out. if a certain string gauge sounds good in the standard, and you drop it, it looses that tightnest. the way to fix it is with a a higher gauge string. this ='s it out again.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja:
                    it looses that tightnest
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

har har. the one person that laugh's is you [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] why are there two people pointing?

ps you willz find errorz with thiss message.

Comment

Thanks everyone. \m/

Comment

Working...
                        X