Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect ADA MP-1 to my rig?

Hi,

I'll probably ask at the ADA Depot as well, but I know many of you have the MP-1, so I thought I'll try here first.

I received my MP1 3TM Ultra+ in the mail today, but I am not sure how I should connect it to my rig, so I haven't even turned it on yet (don't want to damage it, or my rig)

Right now I got the guitar going into the front input of the MP1 --> MP1's "Output A" into the main input of my GT-6 multi FX --> Stereo output of GT-6 into the "return" input of my Marshall DSL201 FX Loop to use it as poweramp only.

Right now the DSL201's FX loop has only one cable attached (the "return"). What do I do with the "send" output?
    Also, the front guitar input of my DSL is now unused.... is that ok?

If there are better ways to connect the MP1 to my rig, please let me know. (current rig is quite simple, just the DSL201 amp + BOSS GT-6 + various guitars)

Please help a MP1 noob :p

- Leo.

Try running the MP1 straight through the loop of the 201. Send to in and return to outputA. You can also try runnin the MP1 into the loop of the GT6 and asign it to certain or all patches in the GT6. You could also run the MP1 through the loop of the 201 with the GT6 into the front end of the marshall. Or into the front end of the GT6 in the FX loop. Experiment and see what works for you. As long as you hook up an input to an output you wont damage either unit. Just see what sounds best and works best for you.
    Gil

Comment

I see, thanks for the detailed reply, I'll experiment a bit

- Leo.

Comment

The ADA should go into the Return of the GT6 if it has one to bypass the GT6's preamp and go straight to the FX.

Then the GT6 Output should go to the DSL Return. You don't have to use the DSL's Send.

DO NOT put the ADA in the DSL's fx loop where the DSL's Send is going into the ADA Input. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Your best setup will probably be ADA Send to GT6 In or Return, then GT6 Out to ADA Return, and ADA Out to DSL Return.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

But then, what will they be doing?, let me explain:

I'm not familiar with setups for preamps and multi FXs, I just had a friends Digitech RP-12 when I started playing and he took it back, for the last 7 years i've been playing straight to the amp son I don't have a clue on how this setups work.

My question is regarding on what will the MP-1 and GT-6 be doing. Should the MP-1 be just for the pre settings and the GT-6 just for FXs? and is this so how do you change patches, if you have a setting with the MP-1 and wan't to change FXs then you change the GT-6 but what if you wan't to change both??? I know this is Multi FXs 101, but I really don't know how this things work out and I wan't to know what i'm doing before I buy one.
          '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
          '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
          custom made Les Paul
          VOX Tonelab LE
          Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
          ADA MP1
          BBE 422A
          Lexicon MPX-G2
          ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
          Support Your Local 81

Comment

Hi Newc,

I am not doubting you, but I am new to all this rack stuff... why is putting the MP1 in the amp's FX loop a "disaster waiting to happen"?

My GT-6 has a FX loop with send and return. So your recommendation would be:

Guitar --> Input of MP1 --> MP1 Output A into Return of GT-6 (preamp section off) --> GT-6 output to Return of DSL ?

Thanks,

- Leo.

Comment

I don't know much about rack stuff either, but I've gathered that something like the MP-1 being a [B]Pre[B]Amp goes before the amp, so going into the effects loop wouldn't be a good thing (I'm wondering if because it has anything to do with the tubes). My understanding would be that you would have the MP 1 in front of the amp with the Boss in the fx loop of the DSL.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing.

Comment

I briefly played with it using my DSL as poweramp only. Definitely sounds better than the preamp in the DSL's distortion channel, though I'll have to tweak it some more.

Didn't get to use it with my GT-6, I'll try to find some time for that and see how it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post
                  I briefly played with it using my DSL as poweramp only. Definitely sounds better than the preamp in the DSL's distortion channel, though I'll have to tweak it some more.

Didn't get to use it with my GT-6, I'll try to find some time for that and see how it sounds.
                  An MP-1 into just about anythig will smoke a DSL of any kind. As far as your GT-6, is there anything on Boss' webisite to help you work through that? You've got an interesting setup there - I'd be pretty confused as well. I tried to do something similar with a couple processors while using the amp's distortion, and mulitple preamps/processors into a loop...bad results, but I think I know why. It also seems like I've always had issues with multi-effects pedally-thingy's...

Good luck - sounds like a cool little setup!

Comment

Rack gurus... come to help us mortals!
                    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                    custom made Les Paul
                    VOX Tonelab LE
                    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                    ADA MP1
                    BBE 422A
                    Lexicon MPX-G2
                    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                    Support Your Local 81

Comment

what is the GT-6? i can help when i know what that is - neddi
                      www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                        An MP-1 into just about anythig will smoke a DSL of any kind. As far as your GT-6, is there anything on Boss' webisite to help you work through that? You've got an interesting setup there - I'd be pretty confused as well. I tried to do something similar with a couple processors while using the amp's distortion, and mulitple preamps/processors into a loop...bad results, but I think I know why. It also seems like I've always had issues with multi-effects pedally-thingy's...

Good luck - sounds like a cool little setup!

Thanks, I was almost afraid to post my rig here because it's a very basic setup, nothing even remotely approaching "boutique", but for my needs it works quite well

With the ADA MP1, eventually I would like to have a rack setup to partner it with other rackmount units that would really allow it to perform the way it was designed to.

For now, most of the time I am still using my old setup (Guitar --> GT6 --> DSL) When I feel like tweaking, then I go: Guitar --> MP1 Output A--> Return of DSL. This way I can just focus on getting a good basic sound for now, and worry about the effects later.

(preparing for an exam... so haven't had much time to really tweak)

Comment

Originally posted by Foolius Maximus View Post
                          what is the GT-6? i can help when i know what that is - neddi
                          It's a multi FX processor, made by BOSS. Has amp modeling + cab modeling + modeling of most of BOSS's stomp boxes + modeling of some classic non-BOSS stomp boxes.

All of this is in a big, anodized gold metal box that sits on the floor.

Comment

Working...
                          X