looking for a new neck pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a new neck pickup

I'm looking for a neck pickup to put in my Sl1, I was thinking to a single coil sized humbucker.

The Bridge pu is a Duncan Distortion.

I really love Duncans, so probably I'll go for one of these:

- SL59-1 Little '59
    - SLSD-1 Li'l Screamin' Demon
    - SCR-1 Cool Rails
    - SJBJ-1 JB Jr.

from the sound samples I heard on the SD website I really like the Cool Rails and Jb Jr, anyway I can't really imagine how they'll sound on my guitar.

experiences/opinions?

Re: looking for a new neck pickup

apc, felony X in neck and Persuader lead in bridge.

www.adderplus.com
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I really like the lil 59, but I just heard a cool rails in the neck and was very impressed. It depends what tone you are going for.

Comment

I have a lil 59 in my fusion, and it is a great sounding pickup. It is definitely not a metal pup, but it has a really lively open sound to it when overdriven, and has a kind of twanginess to it when clean. It gets CCR sounds down pat. It also sounds good when playing Lenny Kravitz type/classic rock type sounds.

Comment

Go for the Little '59.

Comment

The Jb Jr is a very hot pup. I was suprised. Good tonality as well. The 59 would be less hot, but equally toneful w/ mid less punch.
            The only thing I didn't like about either JR series is those pole pieces in a slanted position..which is where a rails pup would come in a single slot.
            Even in a straight on slot, I think the rails would have the advantage of following bends and sounding like a good match. Appearance wise, I think it would be better to a Jackson blade too.

So my vote..= the cool rails.

[ May 07, 2004, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

thank you very much people, i think I'll go for the cool rails!

one last question... my soloist has been made in 1994 and from what I can see the single coils have a different (smaller) routing than the latest soloist... (see pic) is this a problem for installation of the new pickup?

once again... thanx!

Comment

If yours is the one on the left.. there should be no exchange problem. SD rails are user friendly to be a standard replacement for Fender single coils..which is basically what those Jackson J-100 pups are pretty much in a nutshell. SD website should have the specs for measurements if you wish to alleviate any doubts.

[ May 08, 2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

You'll be happy with the Cool Rails. I've got one in the mid of my 650xl. It will fit in the smaller route. Another suggestion would be the Hot Rails. I've got that in the neck of the 650. It produces the best lead tone, nice and smooth. It is also matched up with a Distortion in the bridge. If you have the smaller route, you can either route the guitar or get it from Duncan without the wedge piece. It costs the same but will take an additional 6 weeks to get. Either one will be a killer addition. The Rails pickups totally smoke the Little 59, at least for metal/shred (which is what I normally play).

Comment

Working...
                  X