Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXCELLENT new pickup brand!

Hey folks...
    I recently picked up a '76 Les Paul Standard off the 'Bay, and it came loaded with 2 Rio Grande humbuckers. Now, the first thing I was going to do was rip dem bastards out and re-install the original pickups, 'cause nothing sounds like an old PAF in a Les Paul. But I plugged it up first, and WOW! These pickups are ass kickers! They're not "shredder pickups" like an EMG 81 or Duncan Invader, but then you don't really play a Les Paul to shred, you play your Jackson. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The pickups are very "full" lots of low end that's not muddy, even mids that let the true tone of the guitar through, and enough highs to add great clarity without sounding thin. Output is a little higher than a PAF, little less than say a Duncan JB or Screamin Demon, which up until now was my pickup of choice! I'll still use Duncans and EMGs in my "shredder" guitars, but all the other ones are getting Rio Grande pickups now. Just thought I'd pass along the review. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: EXCELLENT new pickup brand!

"This message paid for by Rio Grande Pickups"

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You know, I almost put "I do not work for Rio Grande or any subsidiaries thereof"... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

y'know....i've heard really good things about them here and there. i may have to look into picking up a set.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

A music store that i frequent is run by a Gibson fanatic, and swears the RIo Grandes are THE best sounding pickups out there. I think his favorite is called the BBQ bucker.

Comment

If you get them and don't like them, I'll buy 'em from ya! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The more I play this guitar, the more I like the sound of these pickups. I have the BBQ in the bridge and the Texas in the neck. Good stuff....

Comment

I got a catalog of theirs a couple years ago. They seem pretty cool. I've read mixed reviews about them, also. From what I've read on the LP Forum, it seems quite a bit of people there don't like them.
              I thought of trying out their real high gain pups, the Crunchbox and Punchbox... they've got oversized pole pieces and almost look like Invaders, but I've never seen any reviews on them.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My tech threw a set in my XTRR as a surprise (not for free, so it really wasn't a "surprise")...but hell, they rock. I'm very happy with them.

Brett

Comment

APC
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I know a guy who is an authorized dealer of Rio Grande pickups. He swears by them, not because he is a dealer, in fact that is how he became a dealer.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have had a Rio BBQ bucker in the bridge of my Ultra V for the past couple years. Love it!
                      "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

I've got Rio's in three of my guitars...the buckers tend to be a bit microphonic through a high gainer, but I wax potted all of them and the squealing went away immediately....Their Tele stuff is to die for as welll - ran Twangbuckers for a bit......good stuff....really cool people to deal with as well.

Steve E

Comment

This "new" pickup brand has been around since 1993! They first started a distribution with Robin guitars in Texas. There is a lot of info on their website, including reviews:

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

Comment

This "new" pickup brand has been around since 1993!
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Damn, since '93?? And nobody (or very few) has ever heard of them? I guess it's hard to get into the pickup world. People are very brand loyal once they find a sound they like. I probably wouldn't have tried them or even known about them if they weren't already installed in the Les Paul. I'm definitely converted to them now though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

...APC...
                              "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Working...
                              X