Need big help on refinishing body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need big help on refinishing body

I've got some free time on my hands and I decided I want to do something funky to a model series (thanks to Tim!). I'm probably going to tigerstripe or kamikaze it in honor of Lynch. I'm gonna do it myself for shits and giggles, it'll probably look like a 5 yo's drawing but I don't care.

I'm a noob at this stuff, but I learn fast so I'll get it right eventually.

---How do I go about refinishing this black painted body? (How do I get the original paint off, how do I sand, how do I prime, how do I repaint)---

Cheaper methods definitly preferred!

Thanks!
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Don't know if this will help...

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72505
    "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

I've never painted a guitar myself but I think you can just scuff up the paint on the guitar and paint over it insted of getting the paint off and starting from scratch.
      Check out projectguitar forums for loads of walkthroughs and tips on the subject.

Comment

reranch.com

allright, provided that you have a decent paint job right now, (no dents, chips, and or any wood missing) go with some scotch brite pads and scuff up the paint. clean the body very well, ( mineral spirits) that is a key to a good paint job, good prep work. spray you a base coat.

oh if you plan on using a rattle can, you might doing this paint job for months. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679

good luck.
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm gonna try and scuff it up and adding some basecoat over it, instead of stripping it down entirely! I'll keep you updated.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Have at it! All the recommendations are great. Also, a good book to have is Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player, Guitar Repair book. It has a finishing section although not very in depth. The book is worth it for all kinds of repair and setup jobs. He also has a very in depth finishing series in DVD using aerosol cans and other spray equipment. Aerosol's work, but take much longer to dry (cure) than professionally applied acrylic urethanes and lacquers.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
            X