EMG HZ pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG HZ pickups

I have heard alot of negative comments on this board about EMG HZ pups and since I've never heard them, what exactly is wrong with these pickups?? If they sound so bad why do so many guitars come with them?? Why would a guitar maker want to install bad pickups in their guitars? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

I want to put some 81/85's in my LP Standard due to popular suggestion. How do they compare with these HZ's?

Thanks

Re: EMG HZ pickups

Nothing is "wrong" with them. Perhaps people feel "cheated" that the HZs are a "cheap" knockoff of the real EMGs since the HZs are passive pickups rather than active. I don't know. I've played a few guitars with them and they seemed fine, but this was a couple of years ago when I was scoping out lower-end guitars.

The HZs are actually made in the USA alongside the regular EMGs, if I recall correctly. For that reason, some JCFers say that they beat the overseas-made Duncan Designed pickups. I think I've even seen on here the mention that the EMG-H4 (or was it the H3?) DESTROYS the Seymour Duncan Distortion (both are USA made).

Comment

I've got EMG's, not in my Jackson, but in my Les Paul. H4's, and they are great. Just as good as any other pickup I've used. I do like them better than my Duncan Designed ones I have in my Jackson. The Duncan Designed aren't bad but I just like the EMG HZ4's better. Now a lot of people are probably comparing them to the actives which you shouldn't do. One isn't a knock off of the other. It's 2 totally different styles of pickups. Hz's are also made in the U.S.A, just like the actives. Duncan Designed are pups made for Seymour Duncan over seas. Like a cheap knock off of the pups they make here, like a Epiphone compared to a Gibson. Where as EMG HZ's are the actual passive line of pickups for EMG.
      Now, all that being said, different people like different things, just because I like one pup and not another, doesn't mean you will feel the same. You may like the one I don't and dislike the one I like. It's all in our own ears.

Comment

The ones I tried sounded boring and lifeless, but I don't know which type of HZs they were. They were one of those with exposed polepieces on one side, and sat in a set-neck ESP/LTD V. They completely lacked the output and the thick saturated tone I get from the active EMGs. Output wise, they sucked worse than the stock Jackson pickups out of my RRX, but the bottom end was tighter than on those. I tried it through a Behringer V-AMP, played around with the settings, but...bleh. It sounded like a corny nu-metal tone, even with the ENGL Savage patch on full gain. There was no "oomph" in them.

But yeah, maybe this was some "vintage output" version (although that would be an odd choice of pickup for a V style guitar).

Comment

I've never tried any of the HZ series, but I've heard good things about them. I did have two of the old passive Select series EMGs (they were Korean made). I used them in my Dinky for many years in place of the standard import Jackson pups, and I thought they sounded pretty good overall, just a little bassy. Now the guitar's got real EMGs, an 85 and a 60, and they totally rule! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I replaced my HZ's very quickly. They just have no life to them. Very flat and bland sounding.

Comment

I have the HZ B1(hum)and S1 in my LTD MV300.
              The HZB1 is a ceramic magnet hum so its kind of brittle in a mahogony neck thru.But it sounds really good very clear more like an 81 but not quite as punchy.The S1 is a stacked single and hums like a fender single.I thinking its not wired correctly just havn't had time to check it out yet.I think the HZs with the alnico magnets should sound pretty good.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks, I didn't realize there were so many different HZ's out there. I like a pup with fat, punchy, deep tone for crunchy rhythms like Zakk Wylde gets with his 81/85's. So I guess there are no Hz's that really compare to that?

I have 120 watts of tube amp power and the stock j-65's, J-130's in my Jackson Jsx have adequate output and I am able to get a fat sound from them. But the LP needs more punch!

Comment

I had HZ's H3 in my DXMG (stock) and was pretty amazed, since I was always playing an Ibanez.

Now I have 2 81's and am more satisfied, but HZ's could be enough for some time. If HZ's have the tone you like and look, don't change them.

Comment

Try an R&S guitarworks L.P.electronics upgrade kit before you pull the pickups in your L.P.You'll be very glad you did.Check 'em out at rsguitarworks.net tell them what you've got and they can recommend which kit you need.These guys know L.P.s inside and out,great guys too! tell them Richard sent you. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Powell:
                      Thanks, I didn't realize there were so many different HZ's out there. I like a pup with fat, punchy, deep tone for crunchy rhythms like Zakk Wylde gets with his 81/85's.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, if you want to emulate his tone, it would make sense to get the same pickups, wouldn't it?

So I guess there are no Hz's that really compare to that?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It doesn't seem like anyone here really knows. I'd have to at least try out the H3 and the H4 before I could make a fair judgement - and I don't see myself buying HZs anytime soon, unless I start seeing lots of rave reviews about them. I haven't seen any guys who normally play active EMGs go apeshit over the HZs, so I think it's fairly safe to assume they are different beasts altogether.

Comment

so what do you think it's the better, the invader-like duncan designed that comes with KE-3 or the EMG-HZ 4?

Comment

Gary, a thought just struck me:

If you want to avoid going with active pickups, or if the active EMGs seem too pricey for you, you should definitely check out APC (Adder Plus Corporation). They have a humbucker model called "The Persuader", and I've heard several old EMG addicts say that these passive pickups blow the EMGs away - and at a very competitive price at that. Sadly, I haven't been able to try them out myself since they have no retailer in my country, but they have gotten some very good reviews in these forums.

Btw, APC is a small family business, so you may have to wait a little longer for the pickups though.

Comment

I tried e-mailing APC about their prices, and they never replied! I completely forgot about them until now actually! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I think you'd be better off calling them and asking directly. According to other people here, they are pleasant to deal with, but not very responsive over the Internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X