FR SpeedLoader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FR SpeedLoader

I was checking some BC Rich the other day at the local store and noticed this tremolo.

Seems very cool in theory, but in practicaluse it's damn hard for me to get over a blank headstock.

So, how good the really are?

Re: FR SpeedLoader

Basically the headstock is for decorative purposes on those. Supposedly the string length is already determined based on the scale length and tuning you want to use. Then you just use the fine tuners to get it perfect. I'm skeptical, but I doubt it would have come to production if it didn't work fairly well. I guess only time will tell.

Comment

The Warlock looks horrible with no tuners. A lot of people seem to have brought it to the attention of BC Rich that the Speedloader Widow headstock looks like a pair of balls. Stand the guitar up straight and look in between the horns.

Comment

You could also do a search on "Speedloader" using the nifty new Search All Forums feature! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I tried one of the new warlocks with the speedloader, and I was actually suprised how good the neck, finish and overall construction of this guitar was....The speedloader trem itself tho, looks kinda cheap with only a thin piece of metal on the bottom, it all seemed fine to me, for the cost ($480USD) although there are a lot of complaints on the BC rich forum about them...

Comment

Anyone check on the price for strings for the speedloader. They are 3x as much as normal strings.

Comment

I have seen one in person, but I didn't get to play it. I would think that the design of the Speedloader system is fine. After all, it's quite similar to the Steinberger system, with the strings manufactured to a predetermined length.

I would also figure that Floyd has a "useless" headstock for some of these reasons:
              1) Balance. Without the 'stock and with a full-size body, it probably would be quite unbalanced on a strap.
              2) Guitarists are very traditional bunch - we love our heads. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Think about how much we post here about pointy, strat, and reverse headstocks.
              3) Brand identification. Without a head, it tends to obscure the builder/company. The obvious exception is Steinberger and I can bet that Floyd and B.C. Rich don't want to have their guitars mistaken for the composite wonders from Ned Steinberger.
              4) From a practical standpoint, without the headstock, you can't use a regular wall hanger to store a guitar.

As for the strings being expensive, I'd bet that's just economics as it takes a different manufacturing process and a special end to make those strings. It's probably like Steinberger strings when those initially came out.
              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

The system works fine it's just that I don't like the look. The headstock could be there for a number of reasons. Cosmeticly, balance, sustain and tone just for a few. Also the strings are higher because they are made for the specific scale. If i'm not mistaken, there are currently 2 different lengths they have but I don't remember which 2 scale lengths they are. But the benefit is that it's fast to tune.

Comment

Working...
                X