bolt vs neck thru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolt vs neck thru

I know that neck thru has more sustain and better access than bolt but some people talk about the neck nosing down????? I'm guessing the bolt leans more than the neck thru??

I've never heard that before. There are no reasons why the method of attaching the neck would affect nose-dive.

And sustain is affected more by bridge choice and wood choice than it is by neck construction.
    Scott

Comment

I'm sure this topic has been discussed here recently.....

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72135
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by jjanggibson View Post
        I know that neck thru has more sustain and better access than bolt but some people talk about the neck nosing down????? I'm guessing the bolt leans more than the neck thru??
        I have a RX10D bolt on that has that issue. Because the neck plate is in the way, Jackson put the strap button in a dumb spot (too far back), and it neck dives as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          I'm sure this topic has been discussed here recently.....

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72135
          +1. I think we covered the subect to death in that thread.

Comment

Who are these people listening to?
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

From the neckthroughs I've had, the front strap button is not in any better place than on bolt ons - Jackson still thinks and designs strap pin placement around the idea that everyone plays acoustics in a Country band.

Anyone who thinks a strapped guitar should lay flat out parallel to the ground when you let it go is an idiot who has no business in the business. Period.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out where the best place to put a strap pin so a guitar tilts upward closer to Classical Position, yet all the Soloists and Dinkys I've had, the pin is dead on the end of the horn, which means the guitar will rest even with the floor instead of point up at a corner like it should.

And can someone please measure the alleged longer sustain of a neckthrough and a bolt on so we can finally lay this dead horse of misinformation to rest?
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                And can someone please measure the alleged longer sustain of a neckthrough and a bolt on so we can finally lay this dead horse of misinformation to rest?
                +1. Stupidest myth in all guitardom.

Comment

I remember in high school when I was hanging out with my guitar buddies they would get pissed at me that I went and bought a USA Fender Strat. Spent that much money on a "bolt-on".

They ditched the guitar, said it sucked and said if I didn't get a Gibson I was stupid. God how'd I'd love to jab my Jackson into their Gibby-god like heads. haha.

Although my Jacky is a neck-thru my strat isnt' and it is a very resonant and sustaining guitar. So I don't give a shit, I just play em'.

Comment

many players say it's way easier to hit the harmonics with bolt-ons
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                      many players say it's way easier to hit the harmonics with bolt-ons
                      I'm with that group for sure, my strat with a JB Jr. in the bridge could pop em out like crazy.

Comment

Bolt on for me. I like the naked wood on the back of the neck. It also stems from me initially only being able to afford a bolt on and it grew from there. I guess you could always strip the neck, but I wouldn't want to pay the usually higher price for a neck-thru and strip paint off. Reaching the higher frets is not really a big deal to me. Funny thing is i prefer 24 fret models and I don't really use them.

Comment

Considering that guys like Yngwie, Satch, Vai and Johnson all use bolt ons I would think this discussion would be done and overwith.
                          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Unfortunately this is a debate that will never die. Both have their pros and cons but sustain is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                              Unfortunately this is a debate that will never die.
                              Haha, very true. On one side you have the math and science engineering lab dudes with all their equations and theories (and sometimes facts) backing up the neck-thrus, and on the other side you got the "keepin it real" bolt-on dudes saying "you guys don't know dick, I've got a bolty that fawkin RIPS!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X