Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I've found the ultimate bridge pup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I've found the ultimate bridge pup...

I've been messing around with my DKMGT and have been really happy with a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck, but I couldn't find anything I really liked in the bridge. I've had EMG's (came in the guitar) as well as the a Duncan TB-4/Jazz combo, and then tried out a Dimarzio Super Distortion with the HFH in the neck and liked the neck but the Super-D just had something I didn't like.

So just for kicks I threw in a Dimarzio Evolution bridge pup I had laying around and Holy Schnikeys! It's amazing! First off, it's a loud pickup but it's not muddy or distorted at all. It's got this beautiful round thick sound in the higher notes and is not overly bassy in the low end. It's probably the smoothest sounding high output humbucker I've ever heard.

I too have a Dimarzio Evolution PU in a guitar & it is smooth.
    Last edited by j4vice; 08-11-2007, 10:48 AM.
    JvicE

Comment

I've always been a Duncan guy and just recently started really looking at Dimarzio because every guitar that just blows me away has Dimarzio pups in it. Check out EBMM and the USA Peavey guitars. They're amazing and have Dimarzio pups.

Comment

As for ultimate bridge pickups, I prefer both the Bareknuckle Nailbomb and the Holy Diver over anything else Ive tried yet. www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

Comment

I really like the SD pickups. One of my favorites, but I have to admit the EVO in a nice pup to. Solos sounds so clear. I have a model 5 with EVOs front and rear. It is not the tone I am after but that guitar really sounds good. I am glad you found something you like. If you cant please yourself who can you please.
          Just one more guitar!

Comment

I've never tried the EVOs, but I love Tone Zones, X2Ns and Super Distortions. And a Super 2 may just be the ultimate neck pickup!
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I love Evos, my fav passive pup. Dimarzio > SD, but it's different for everybody..
              "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I've never tried the EVOs, but I love Tone Zones, X2Ns and Super Distortions. And a Super 2 may just be the ultimate neck pickup!
                I have a project I am working on I didn't know what to put in the neck. I am going to try the super 2.
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

Thanks for the mini-review! I think I will try the EVO in my latest project!

Comment

The Evolution is my favorite pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                      I have a project I am working on I didn't know what to put in the neck. I am going to try the super 2.
                      Cool. It's a great high gain pickup, like the Super Distortion, but it's brighter and sounds awesome in the neck, no mud at all.
                      The Ducan Jazz is also another favorite, it seems pretty similar, just less output.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hmmmm......methinks I'll try an Evo and Super2 combo in a guitar myself....I could use more Dimarzios in my lineup.....thanx guys

Comment

I use Dimarzios as well, they just sound tighter to me than SDs(plus all my heros use them). I use different models for different guitars. My mahogany Charvel got a TZ, Model 2 got the Super III, Model 4 got a Pafpro, strat got the Solo-pro and my LP copy got a PafPro. I tried a few different Dimarzios in each before making a choice, kinda fun to find the right pup!
                          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Will the Evo/Super 2 combo go well in a mahogany body with thick maple cap?

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                              Will the Evo/Super 2 combo go well in a mahogany body with thick maple cap?
                              It wasn't my choice for my Les Paul. Sounded great up top but the bottom end didn't chug like a good set of hot PAF style pups will. Still sounded incredible for leads and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
                              X