vintage trem questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage trem questions...

I've never seen one (except on eBay), but I see the vets here on the forum sigh when they see an original San Dimas mod'ed with an Floyd.

So can a Floyd mod be effectively reversed (assuming you could find a vintage trem)? There's no extra route done in the body for the Floyd is there? The nut is obviously more problematic.

Do vintage Charvel enthusiasts do this? Is it worth it?

Re: vintage trem questions...

The route needs to be modified for the Floyd and two large holes for the posts ahve to be added. They do not retrofot Vintage trems and it takes a full restoration to fully switch back to vintage trem and make the Floyd mod totally invisable.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smithee:
      So can a Floyd mod be effectively reversed (assuming you could find a vintage trem)? There's no extra route done in the body for the Floyd is there? The nut is obviously more problematic.

Do vintage Charvel enthusiasts do this? Is it worth it?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've read about body routs being filled. One case I read about, the repair used a bunch of plastic poured into the route and shaped. In another case, wood was sort of "inlayed" into the route and then later re-routed for a vintage trem.

A repair like that would be pretty expensive and I don't think most hardcore Charvel guys would be interested. I've seen a few of them say that a good Floyd installation is an acceptable mod.
      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I have a DiMarzio star mutt that had started life as a vintage trem them modded to a floyd.The work was poorly done to say the least.So I had R&S guitarworks fill the trem cavity with a piece of ash to match the body wood.Then covered front and back with a flame maple veneer,then drilled the body to make it a string thru with a tune-o-matic bridge.Just dowel the floyd holes redrill for a vintage trem refin and play the hell out of it.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

As always, thanks. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X