Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard Thought...

Hallo all!
    I'm currently in the process of designing a guitar that I'm hopefully gonna start building this summer...

The question I got stuck on is this; If I was to make a 'skunkstripe' of for instance maple, in the ebony fretboard, how would this affect tone, etc.

Thanks /Q

Re: Fretboard Thought...

Maple would make it sound a bit brighter. The other question is: is it feasible? I've never seen a guitar like that, but I think it would look killer.

Comment

Actually, ebony would sound brighter than maple, but in this case, I doubt you'd hear any change in tone. I don't know why you'd want a strip in the middle of a fingerboard anyway, as a skunk stripe usually goes on the back of the neck for the a truss rod to be put into.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
        Actually, ebony would sound brighter than maple, but in this case, I doubt you'd hear any change in tone. I don't know why you'd want a strip in the middle of a fingerboard anyway, as a skunk stripe usually goes on the back of the neck for the a truss rod to be put into.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree - a small stripe of wood like that in the fingerboard would have basically no effect on tone. Depending how the stripe was installed, you might also have problems with wood shrinkage.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I'd say there would be no issue with change of tone and no issue of 'shrinkage' based on my Jackson with half ebony-half maple fingerboard (done by GMW):

Comment

wood shrinkage.....hee hee [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow - wild guitar, Mountain Dog. I like it. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

WOW, interesting. Then I guess a strip in the middle is quite feasible.

Comment

I believe Maverick guitars have the half-and-half fretboard as well. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sweetness! thanks for the replies, looks like it's been done before, so shouldn't be too impossible [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog:
                      I'd say there would be no issue with change of tone and no issue of 'shrinkage' based on my Jackson with half ebony-half maple fingerboard (done by GMW):
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Perfect for those who can not decide!!! It looks killer dude! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X