String gauge for dropped B tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String gauge for dropped B tuning?

I want to tune a Squier that I own down however many steps it is to C# and then drop the low string to B. What gauge of strings do you guys recommend for this?

Re: String gauge for dropped B tuning?

imho 10-52/11-52 would be okay for 25.5 scale maybe add a 56 / 60 string for that dropped B

Comment

i use drop B on a BC Rich warlock and its scale is 24 5/8" and i use 11-54 strings and 009-54 on my Ibanez 7 string which is 25.5" for the Warlock i'm gonna use now 10-52 strings, drop B

Comment

I use a 59 for the B on my Universe. Nice tension, but the string's not so thick that the sound turns to mud. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

11-58 should work fine. I use 11-48 on guitars in D and Drop C. When I had my 7-string, the low B was a 56 and it was fine. 56 would probably be the lightest I would use for B.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I tune to straight B. I get a 10-52 set, then throw out the 10 and add a 60 for the low B. It is a pain readjusting the Floyd for that. I actually had to add a 3rd spring on one of my guitars.

Comment

holy shit, i use those gauges 10-52 or 11-49 in standard 440a tunings. ide go with 13-60's or bigger for tuning down that low. i hate the way little strings warble. & chaos you only had 2 springs in your floyd. damn i use 4 or 5 & always have even when i used 9's it just feels more stable & i think its helps it zero better since the spring dont work as hard.

Comment

i use 11's for a Eb tuning and they feel kinda flappy to me...i think that 13's would probably be best for B tuning.

Comment

get the GHS Zakk Wyled Boomers
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I thought those were for just dropping the E down to B and leaving the rest like it was, and that ain't what I wanna do. Plus I don't want Zakk to get any of my money. I think I'm gonna get an 11-58 gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
                      damn i use 4 or 5 & always have even when i used 9's
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No matter what I tried, I just couldn't get my guitar to accept 5 total trem springs tuned to standard with 9-46 gauge strings. Please help me! See this thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...=001844#000000

Please give info on the trem springs you're using... where did you get them, and are they all the same? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X