Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fine Tuner Tension Plate...Do they wear out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine Tuner Tension Plate...Do they wear out?

The trem on my Warrior Pro seems to have hardly any travel on the fine tuners on E,A and D. Do these tension plates wear out? Is there a repair or do I need to try and get a new one?

Cheers
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

They certainly do wear out, but often what happens is that the tension gets looser. It would be weird if it limited the travel of the tuners(?).

Comment

Could just be dirty if their travel is getting limited.
      Soak it in WD-40 and run the tuners through their full range of travel.
      That should clear out any dirt.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        They certainly do wear out, but often what happens is that the tension gets looser. It would be weird if it limited the travel of the tuners(?).
        You are correct Sunbane, I worded that really badly. Basically you have to screw it a long way down before there is any tension there.

Comment

Anyone know if an OFR one will fit on the Jackson trem and where I can get one from? I've Googled it and there's no UK listings and Guitarparts in the US don't look like they have them in stock.

Comment

An OFR won't fit on a Warrior Pro. Get a Schaller from www.stewmac.com
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Have you tried bending the tangs back up?I have done many this way and have had great results.
              Use a small pair of needle nose pliers and bend at the first bend and bend upwards.I did one yesterday on my JT-6 and it is working fine now.
              Last edited by straycat; 07-21-2007, 08:34 AM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Even if the plate has lost it's spring, it won't affect the operation of the fine tuners at all. The string tension keeps the locking bolts up against the fine tuners. All you will notice is a very, very slight looser feel to the fine tuners. The main purpose of the tension plate, is to keep the locking bolts from flopping around when you're changing strings. I've actually use a floyd without a tension plate on it at all, and it worked just fine.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll try the pliers 1st.
                  Zeeg, the E and A ones are real loose and don't adjust much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Speiro View Post
                    Thanks guys, I'll try the pliers 1st.
                    Zeeg, the E and A ones are real loose and don't adjust much at all.
                    Even with the strings on, and tuned to pitch? If so, there's gotta be another reason for it.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      Even with the strings on, and tuned to pitch? If so, there's gotta be another reason for it.
                      Yup, I think I will have to take it off the guitar and have a good look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Speiro View Post
                        Yup, I think I will have to take it off the guitar and have a good look at it.
                        Yeah, that sounds very strange. If I were you, I'd take it off, and give it a good bath. Take it completely apart, and clean and lube everything.

Comment

Working...
                        X