Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Some Help on Drilling String holes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Help on Drilling String holes...

Heres the deal; I have one of those cheap Squier Tele bodies, but its not string through. Basically, I want to put a strong through TOM bridge on it. Is it possible to do this? And if so, what is the spacing and everything for it so it will intonate correctly? And what size drill bit should I use? The neck is a 21 fret neck if it helps with a 6 in line headstock. Or is this even worth my effort?

The center of the treble post should be 25-9/16" from the nut and the bass side should be measure 25-11/16" from the nut. The size bit you need will depend on the TOM you use. If you want string-through holes the size of those will depend on the ferrules you use.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
      Heres the deal; I have one of those cheap Squier Tele bodies, but its not string through. Basically, I want to put a strong through TOM bridge on it. Is it possible to do this? And if so, what is the spacing and everything for it so it will intonate correctly? And what size drill bit should I use? The neck is a 21 fret neck if it helps with a 6 in line headstock. Or is this even worth my effort?
      if it is one of those teles that have the strings positioned on the bridge, i forsee a problem. that guitar is set up for not neck tilt, for a string thru, you need a neck tilt. of course if you would like you could recess the tom piece.
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Neck shim will solve that problem, similar to floyding a strat.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
          The center of the treble post should be 25-9/16" from the nut and the bass side should be measure 25-11/16" from the nut. The size bit you need will depend on the TOM you use. If you want string-through holes the size of those will depend on the ferrules you use.
          Thanks!

Neck shim will solve that problem, similar to floyding a strat
          About how much of an angle should it be?

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
            Thanks!

About how much of an angle should it be?
            I think in this case it would be trial and error.
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

A shim about the thickness of a credit card is usually a good starting point. Pretty sure most TOM guitars like LPs have about a 4° neck tilt, but like k u said, trial & error will get it exactly where you want it so the neck is close to perfectly parallel to the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                i forsee a problem. that guitar is set up for not neck tilt, for a string thru, you need a neck tilt.
                partially right.

for TOM stringthrough, you need some neck tilt.

my Tele stringthrough with the regular flat Tele bridge needs no tilt, since this is the part the guitar was made for.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                  partially right.

for TOM stringthrough, you need some neck tilt.

my Tele stringthrough with the regular flat Tele bridge needs no tilt, since this is the part the guitar was made for.
                  partially,......... i said for that guitar, and he wanted a TOM, so in this case it is completely correct.

Comment

Well I have the string ferrules, I'm just waiting for the bridge to arrive.

Comment

Be sure to locate the ferrules far enough back so the strings will not rest on the frame of the TOM bridge.I think it would look slick to recess the TOM bridge just a little.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Also, for drilling, I recommend a brad point bit. They work great and are a standard luthier practice for drilling!
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                        X