Removing a Fender Logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a Fender Logo

I have a Japanese Fender Strat neck. It has the Fender logo and Made in Japan on it that I need to remove. The entire neck including the headstock is finished in that typical vintage factory tinted clear finish that has a yellow'd look to it. If I sand the Fender logo off I will remove the finish and the headstock will not match the rest of the neck. Is there any way to remove the logo without disturbing too much of the factory finish on the headstock? If not, what type of finish can I apply to the headstock to match the rest of the neck.

Re: Removing a Fender Logo

John, I've read an article on a Stewmac finish that (if I remember right) ages really fast if you expose it to sunlight. Whether it would match the rest, or if it is anything that you'd want to use, ?, but I know that I read a long detailed how-to.

Maybe I can find it...

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

you'll never be able to make it perfectly match, best bet is to strip it after you've removed it, and clear it again.

why is the fender logo such an issue? i'm almost afraid of the answer.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The guitar I am working on is that Prepro Charvel clone that I got from Chuck. It came with a Fender rosewood 21 fret MIM neck on it. I swapped the neck out for a Fender MIJ maple slab board with 22 frets. I like the profile of the late 80's MIJ necks and the wider frets plus I need at least 22 of them. It has a Mightymite body with a vintage trem, Duncan Invader and 1 volume. I want to take the Fender logo off and put on a small black Charvel 3 on a side logo that I have to make it look even more like a Charvel Strathead. I am probably going to leave it on though because I really like the vintage tint that the entire neck has. It is almost yellow. The maple slab board neck made all the difference to me when combined with the ash and maple flame topped body. The guitar is brighter now which really evens out the Invader. This body/neck combo can certainly handle the overwhelming power of an Invader.

Comment

Get someone to take ALL the tinted clear off and OIL up that sucker. You will love it and it will be even MORE Charvel like. It can be done.

Comment

It is likely that clear is the wrong finish for this. Many Fender necks were coated with an amber finish. Check it out.

Comment

i'll try to control my ranting, but i just don't get why the hell many of you guys have to run out to get charvel logos for anything that has a strathead and narrow 12th fret dots. it doesn't make the guitar any cooler, and the "i'm not going to ever say it's legit" disclaimer is lame. put your own logo on it, for christ's sake!

i recently got a mighty mite parts guitar that looks like the 25th anniversary charvel (the one that was on ebay recently) after i made some mods (swapped the pickup) and leveled the frets, i decided that the empty headstock needed something. i'm not gonna put a sully logo on it, and i'm sure as hell not gonna put a charvel logo on it, but a fellow jcf'er and i are workin on something, and i'm considering a "chahvel" or "charvelle" logo for it. fuck, i might just put a hondo logo on it to make a point.

i understand the empty headstock syndrome, but just enjoy the damn guitar. all this charvel cloning shit is ridiculous. john, i don't mean to take this out on you, but no matter how many times those that put charvel logos where they don't belong say "i'll never get rid of it" or "i'll never pass it off as real" don't think down the line. when the time comes that you DO unload it, the person that you sell it to may sell it to someone else, etc....ya think it eventually won't be passed off as legit? you're high.

sully

[ April 28, 2004, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

"What Sully said"!...Would be a damn shame to put a Charvel logo on there. There are enough fakes out there already.
                I'd rather see you put something else on there.

Nothing against you dude, just hate that kind of thing. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X