checking neck releif on DK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• checking neck releif on DK2

Hey, just found this board and it seems pretty cool. I have a question. Where do you check the neck releif at on my dinky.......I love saying that........ I've always setup and repaired my own guitars but this is the first time I owned a 24 fret 25.5 in scale. On all my others I check around the 7th but the bow on this one is a little further, like around the 10th fret or so. It's a new guitar so I hope that I don't have a big problem. I already had to shim the nut up about 4 thousandths.
    Also, my liscensed floyd has 2 nuetral positions. It has a spot it always comes back to if I'm diving and another spot it comes back to if I'm bending. I've took the LFR off and checked the knife edges which were good and the only thing thing I seen is that the post where the trem pivots were loose inside the bushing that they screw into. The bushing themselves were tight so I added some tape to the threads and screwed the posts back in and now there is no play but I still have the same problem. Is there anything I can do so it comes back to the same spot weather bending or diving. I know that I can push it or pull it back to how I have it tuned but during some of my licks in a show, i'm not fast enough to do that. Maybe a tremsetter will fix that problem, I've been thinking about getting one. Anyways, I'm more wanting to know where to check the neck relief at on this guitar. Thanks.

Re: checking neck releif on DK2

I usually check relief at the 9th or 10th fret

Comment

I usually check relief between frets 5-9. If there's too much of a gap where you can fit more than a .10 high E string between there, tighten the truss rod a little.
      As for the Floyd, make sure it's level when you tune up to pitch. After you're tuned up, stretch your strings by bending a lot and also pulling them off the board, retune, keep doing the stretching process and retuning until you can't bend them out of tune any longer, then tighten down the locking nut, use the Floyd's fine tuners to compensate for any of the strings going sharp or flat. After using the Floyd now, it should return to perfectly level and in tune.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The only other thing that comes to my mind is check your trem springs. You should have three. My friend for some reason removed one spring and had the problem you described. If you have three springs, maybe they need to be changed.

Comment

Check it where the guitar wants you to check it. The best place is wherever there is the most relief, wherever that happens to be.

Comment

Sounds like there might be grooves in the posts for the trem and its gettign stuck. Or maybe a small bure on one of them. Check the posts to make sure they are smooth and de-bured.
            Gil

Comment

I should elaborate. Put a bit of relief into the neck, then just measure the relief on all the frets. The area of most relief is where you'll want to check the relief most of the time.

Yes, I realize that was an ass-backwards sentence, but fuck it. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I press the string at the 1st and the last fret and check the relief in the middle. I don't know if that's the best way since I read about many other suggestions. What do you guys think? Is it a good way? Pros and cons?

Comment

Thats how I do it. But I check the relief from the 5th to the 10th fret just to make sure its a uniform relief.
                  Gil

Comment

Working...
                  X