jackson neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackson neck

i am a left handed guitar player and want a 24fret neck for my performer series rhoads, can i simply fit a right handed neck, or are they tensioned for a certain handedness

Thanks, Stee

Re: jackson neck

Left, right, it's all the same except for the side dots [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

can anybody confirm this???

Comment

it doesn't matter if left or right handed neck is used as long as it doesnt have an old style nut. What you should really be cncerned about is what you'll need to do to make it fit. Aren't the performer Rhoads models 22 frets? If so you can't simply throw a 24 fret neck on there and have it intonate properly. The body would need to be modified so the neck could mount close enough and you'd probly lose the neck pickup. going from 22 to 24 frets isnt just a simple swap.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

so, the body would need to be modded so the end of the fretboard sat further towards the bridge? could this make fretting on the higher frets harder?

Comment

Originally posted by masterofpuppets1986:
            so, the body would need to be modded so the end of the fretboard sat further towards the bridge? could this make fretting on the higher frets harder?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The body would need to be routed in the neck pocket to accept the 24-fret neck and make it intonate correctly. Think about it this way, the 12th fret needs to be just about exactly half way between the nut and the bridge. With the 24 fret neck, the 12th fret has to be at the same distance from the bridge as the 22 fret neck. Therefore, those 2 extra frets have to go beyond the end of the current 22 fret neck. The only way to do that would be to remove some wood in the neck pocket, which in turn might mean that you'd have to move the neck pickup, too.
            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Here's a good thread on both 22 and 24 fret necks and also on 25-1/2" and 24-3/4" scales:
              http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ult...c;f=7;t=000908

Comment

am i better to buy a new body and have it routed properly for a 24fret neck? as i want an almost original 24fret rhoads if u dig wot i mean

Comment

Originally posted by masterofpuppets1986:
                  am i better to buy a new body and have it routed properly for a 24fret neck? as i want an almost original 24fret rhoads if u dig wot i mean
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You might see if you can find a local repair person or luthier and see what they could offer for suggestions. It's also possible that you could get a proper replacement body from Warmoth - maybe call them first and explain what you want to do. Warmoth does make a Rhoads-style body. Or you could maybe just buy an already built guitar that has the body style and 24-fret neck that you want.

[ April 29, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: John D. ]
                  Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

John D. has a good idea in calling Warmoth. You'll note they have a 22/24 fret extended fingerboard (click on the "22/24 Fret Ext. Fingerboards"). Getting this neck would mean you don't have to route the body, BUT, as per Warmoth, you could run into trouble by hitting the neck pickup route.
                    http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/guitarneck.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X