Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAF Pros in a Neck-Through Jackson?

Folks:

After six months of getting to know my WR-1, I've decided it's high time to ditch the Full Shred and Invader pickups for lower-output, higher-definition models.

I'm leaning toward the DiMarzio PAF Pros, which are in my '88 JEM777, but I'm not sure if a pickup that sounds great in a 16-year old basswood, bolt-on guitar will also sound great in a 6-month old alder, neck-through model. Basically I'm looking for excellent string-to-string definition, the ability to play full six-string chords through high gain without it turning to mush, and rich or even emphasized harmonics, and a somewhat woody (rather than flat) tone.

I've done a few forum searches and read a lot of comments on PAF Pros and their DiMarzio kin, but I would like a little more info on how folks think they sound specifically in the Jackson USA neck-through models before I get out the soldering iron and start experimenting.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

--jr
    「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Re: PAF Pros in a Neck-Through Jackson?

Originally posted by Johnny Rasgueado:
    Folks:

After six months of getting to know my WR-1, I've decided it's high time to ditch the Full Shred and Invader pickups for lower-output, higher-definition models.

I'm leaning toward the DiMarzio PAF Pros, which are in my '88 JEM777, but I'm not sure if a pickup that sounds great in a 16-year old basswood, bolt-on guitar will also sound great in a 6-month old alder, neck-through model. Basically I'm looking for excellent string-to-string definition, the ability to play full six-string chords through high gain without it turning to mush, and rich or even emphasized harmonics, and a somewhat woody (rather than flat) tone.

I've done a few forum searches and read a lot of comments on PAF Pros and their DiMarzio kin, but I would like a little more info on how folks think they sound specifically in the Jackson USA neck-through models before I get out the soldering iron and start experimenting.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

--jr
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm partial to DiMarzio pickups. I have a DiMarzio Super Distortion and a PAF in a polka-dot neck-thru Jackson V and I love the way it sounds. I'm like you in that I don't like super hot output pickups as there's other ways to get distortion/overdrive...I prefer definition and clarity from the guitar first. The PAF is in the neck on the V and it cleans up real nice when backing off the volume a little.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Comment

Thru the Moser Custom shop forum I have heard that Evans pickups are the holy grail of pickups, I personally have never tried but a person who goes there, described them kinda of what you want for your guitar, that is, extreme definition at all times for full 6 string chords, woody and rich, i have also heard great things about Bartolinis, although those are active

Comment

The DiMarzio Steve's special is a high output pickup but if you want a woody tone with scooped mid range its a good choice.Great for an ash or basswood bodied guitar BTW.
          But for string definition and clarity with mid range output my choice is J.M.Rolph pickups.His P.A.Fs are sweet.I also have a set of pickups he made for Mick Mars that are so incredible they go beyond discription.

[ April 25, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Richard ]
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If you want to hear what dofferent types of pickups sound like you should PM me. I live right in Milford, CT. You could come over if you want and listen to various pickups in various guitars with your own ears. I have JB's, Steve's Specials, Nortons, XL500's, 59's, Duncan Jazz, Super Distortions, EMG,s etc...

Comment

Wow! Many thanks for the responses, all!

--jr
              「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

Working...
              X