Anyone ever bust a real Floyd saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever bust a real Floyd saddle?

After some 30 odd FRO's and 18 years of using them I busted a Floyd saddle (high E) today while tightening the string block down after a change of strings. The damn thing split right in half right where the allen screw meets the saddle. I didn't tighten it any tighter that I have the million and one times I changed strings before [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else as I never heard of this going on before, especially on a made in Germany Floyd..
    shawnlutz.com

Re: Anyone ever bust a real Floyd saddle?

You are not alone! It happened to me twice, doing exactly the same thing you were doing. You can luckily still buy replacement parts for them. I got them from Allparts.

Comment

I broke one in 1990. It was the B.

Comment

I've got two used Jacksons and the problem I've found with both of them is that the string blocks must get deformed and/or rusted and changing strings is a real pain. My newest guitar was so iffy on the saddles that I've ordered a whole new set of locking saddles and locking screws for it. Shop around if you end up ordering new parts, I found the saddles for $12.95 a piece in black. A lot of places were $16-18.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I have split 3 in the 18 years I have had floyds. always the E [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

It happened to me once. That was D saddle on a Schaller FR. I'm not sure if I overtightened it or not. That was about 7-8 years ago. Since then not a problem. It never happened to me on a FRO.

Comment

I did it to an OFR on a Kramer back in '88 - tightening the block on the Low E (10) and split the saddle from the block cavity to the rear corner.
              Haven't done one since [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X