"Strat" Kahler Spyder EMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Strat" Kahler Spyder EMG

We all know I have more money than brains. Here's the story: My pawnshop has an '89 Fender HM "Strat" that has been sittting there for months. The one with the ghey "Strat" in pink on the headstock. Here's the bad news. The body has been rattlecan painted; instead of HSS, it's one EMG and 2 holes ; and a very nice open slot where the blade switch should be. They are asking silly money for it. The Spyder seems complete sans bar. My "Tech" question is: Should I even consider a low-ball offer knowing how scarce Spyder parts are?. Thanks
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Well, they were going for good money on the bay not long ago, and I've heard nothing but good reports about them. Actually, I played one in a pawn shop that was pretty nice, aside from looking about as bad as the one you described. If it's a maple board, i'd try an offer. As for getting a trem bar for one..... Good friggin luck.

Comment

It's a dark board. I'm not sure whether it's rosewood or ebony. Here's a side note. One of the guys at my pawnshop said to me that based on the number of guitars I buy from them, I should be getting better prices. Now's my chance?:ROTF:

Comment

I'd say grab it if you can get a good deal. Those are cool guitars. You can still get a lot of Spyder parts here:

http://www.kahlerparts.com/Other_Pag...der_System.htm

but the big exception looks to be the saddles, so check them out carefully.

Comment

The way it stands, it's a $150 guitar. Based on how I know these guys work, they probably gave a $125 loan value. I try $150 tomorrow. And that will be that for the "Strat". If they don't take it. Oh well

Comment

I've got HM Strat that I absolutely love! Yeah, it's pink, but it's in 9.5/10 condition, and after having it Plek'd, it's probably my best playing guitar (out of 11), including 3 Jacksons and 2 Charvels. The neck and middle single coils are worthless - I replaced them with Dimarzio Fast Track 1's. Got mine for $300 earlier this year.
            "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

My best friend has a HM strat with a Kahler Spyder. Very good trem if you ask me, and the HM strat's were well made too. I don't see where you could go wrong in offering them $125 to take it off their hands.

Comment

I tried the What's your rock bottom price? The list is $589 and it's on sale for $399. He came back with $300 and I said I will let it sit a few months more.

Comment

I paid $125 for mine. The only issues were swapped out pickups and missing nut clamps, which I had.

Mine is pink with a maple fretboard. There are pictures somewhere in the other guitars forum, 1 year ago.

I bought a Super 3, but the holes were drilled for surface mount. I also need a 5 way switch. I need to get off my ass and put it back together.

Comment

Some interesting things about the Fender HM. It's a 25.1" scale guitar with a non standard strat heel. The heel is square like a Tele but it is 2-5/16" wide if I remember correctly. Not that this really adds any value to this thread but it has more non standard stuff than just hard to find Spyder parts

Comment

The neck is shredder flat. I just hope these clowns didn't give out too much in loan value. Kahler, EMG and shitty paint, it's still, barely, a $150 guitar. It does have the bar.
                      Last edited by fett; 07-17-2007, 12:38 PM.

Comment

It's worth much more then 150 imo, very well built and awesome necks, i have one of those myself.

Comment

If it had the original paint and not a rattlecan job, maybe. From what I have read about these, the original pups were pretty good. The EMG on this is cool, I guess. The frets almost look like they have been redone. There should be more fret wear based on how modded this thing is. It's a $150 guitar. And that's all I'll pay.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            I paid $125 for mine. The only issues were swapped out pickups and missing nut clamps, which I had.

Mine is pink with a maple fretboard. There are pictures somewhere in the other guitars forum, 1 year ago.

I bought a Super 3, but the holes were drilled for surface mount. I also need a 5 way switch. I need to get off my ass and put it back together.
                            I rest my case. The one I'm talking about is nowhere near as nice.

Comment

I have had 4 of these and they are great guitars and going up in value.Granted the one you're looking at is in not so great shape I would hold firm and not give more than $150.00.This shop knows your pattern and IMO is trying to squeeze you.
                              I don't know what competition you have as far as other buyers but I'd say someone else has been looking at it and thats their reason for squeezing you.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X