Jackson J-90C / J-100(or 200?) Pickups and JE2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson J-90C / J-100(or 200?) Pickups and JE2000

Hey gang....I need some info, and I know you guys will have it.

I am getting a 88 Soloist with the following pickups/options from the work order.

It says that it has a J-90C humbucker, and either J-100 (and/or 200....it has a 2 written over the #1, so I don't know what to think [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ) and also the JE2000 (I'm assuming it is a gain/mid type of device, though I don't know [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] )

What can you tell me about these pickups??

Is this an active circuit powered by a 9V or is it passive??

Thanks for the answers in advance [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Jackson J-90C / J-100(or 200?) Pickups and JE2000

the j-100's have the coil covered and the poles exposed like a typical strat pickup. It is a true single coil. The J-200 is enclosed with no poles exposed and is humbucking.

Comment

I posted a question about pickups a few days ago, trying to figure out pickups are in my 1989 Strat. Charvel750 told me that if my system was passive it was most likely a J-90 and two J-100's. If it was active, he said that it would likely be a J-50 humbucker and two J-200 single coils. If you've got a passive J-90 pickup in the bridge, it would seem likely that you'd have passive single coils, too.
      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Charvelguy is absolutely correct. I'm pretty sure that the exposed pickups are passive and the covered ones are active. It sounds like an active system with a battery to me. Sounds like a nice guitar.

Comment

Actually, I found a little more info in a scanned manual over at the Jackson Museum. The JE-2000, according to the manual, is an active low impedance EQ system for BASSES. The JE-1000 and JE-1500 were low-impedance EQ systems for guitars. Here's a link to the Jackson Electronics Manual at the Museum: http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/archive...f88wiring.html

Hope this helps.

Comment

All the jackson pickups are passive. the active circuits run on a nine volt battery, and can be used with any passive pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
              All the jackson pickups are passive. the active circuits run on a nine volt battery, and can be used with any passive pickups.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the info. Re-reading the Electronics Manual, it does seem that all of the pickups are passive. The only oddball seems to be the J-200 which is a low-impedance pickup that is only to be used with the active electronics systems, according to Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by John D.:
                Thanks for the info. Re-reading the Electronics Manual, it does seem that all of the pickups are passive. The only oddball seems to be the J-200 which is a low-impedance pickup that is only to be used with the active electronics systems, according to Jackson.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's likely a mistake. The J200s were in a few models with no active electronics. For example, the Fusion Special has 3 J200s.

The J200 is actually a terrible sounding pickup, in my opinion, but yet the J200R is incredible. (The R has exposed rails)

Comment

As does the Spectrum. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the J-200 either unless their wired as a dual coil side by side so I pulled all mine. The J-100 and the blade dual rails are far better sounding pups IMO. I'm not sure which active system is in the with the 88,but the pups are passive..possibly the 1200?

Comment

Actaully Sam, the JE-200- is a Bass preamp. It is possible that you have the JE-1200 which is the mid-boost system or the JE-1000 Peak Select system which has the little dip-switch on the circuit board for "dialing in" your sound.

Hope that helps bro,

Dave-&gt;
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

That is what is strange. On the work order, under Parts Special, JE2000 is typed in [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] .

[ April 24, 2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: LesPaulCustom ]

Comment

May have been a typo, that is strange indeed. Maybe also you were able to use that system with guitar pickups also and they have a different "response" and sound to them, Interesting.

Dave-&gt;
                        Dave ->

Comment

I dunno...ya gots me by the short curlies [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Here is something I don't really understand yet, as I've never played a Jackson with these pups before, that on the Custom, all I have is 2 knobs, and I am assuming they are the standard volume/tone. If this is true, then the pre-amp or whatever that circuit is is always on [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

It will be neat to sit down with it and see what it has got...and the characteristics of the pups.

Thanks for the response Dave.....and everybody else [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, that is weird as well Sam. The JE-2000 has 3 controls, the volume, treble and bass controls and the JE-1000 has only 2 knobs volume and tone but it usually has the gain/boost switch to go with it. Maybe the buyer didn't want the switch. As for it always being "on", once you plug the cord in from the amp, the output jack is also a switch which turns the preamp on. Make sure you remember to unplug it after you're done playing to save the battery.

Dave-&gt;
                            Dave ->

Comment

In response to Jeff's post about the J-200's, I agree that the pickups in a fusion special are terrible sounding, but they are not J-200's. THey are a crappy Charvel logoed copy of the J-200 (I may be able to get a pic of them is my batteries aren't dead in my camera). The J-200's actually are pretty good sounding even if used without the preamp (my opinion of course).

Comment

Working...
                              X