Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a pick-up ring and height screws

Hello,
    Is there a trade secret or an easier way to install a pick-up ring? Here is the case, I removed the p/u rings and now I need to re-install them. I'm finding it a pain to hold the ring down to compress the spring so that the pick up height screw can grip the threads in order to be screwed down.
    The spring shifts, twists, bends, etc, etc. What can be done to make this easier or should I just deal with it? Thanks in advance. J

Re: Installing a pick-up ring and height screws

I'm sure you're doing this with pickup up in the air, not with the ring screwed to the body?
    I guess you just have to live with it. It's not that hard, anyway.

Comment

It is a bit tricky, but it gets easier with practice. I put the screwdriver in the screw and push down while twisting and holding the pickup in the other hand. Sometimes it goes right in and other times you just curse and swear. Good luck and like the previous poster said, don't do this on top of your guitar, you don't need any scratches on the finish!

Comment

I've noticed that most of the springs are a lot longer than they need to be, as they end up being squished pretty good when the pickups the right height. In those cases, what I've done is to just shorten the spring a little by cutting with side-cut pliers, so its just slighty shorter than the amount the screw is sticking below the plastic mount. Then you can easily get the screw started (since you don't have to compress the spring), then after a couple turns of the screw the spring starts compressing.

Comment

I second that emotion.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I usually hold the pickup in my left palm with the spring between my fingers(make sure it's centered over the hole) then just use the screwdriver to compress the spring and tighten it down.
            Basically just start over if the spring starts moving off center.

Comment

My p/u's are still in the guitar. I think I'll do the "clip the spring a bit" method. thanks, J.

Comment

Working...
              X