What exactly is Basswood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is Basswood?

OK, I know they have been making guitars out of basswood for years now but where does it come from? I have never heard of a Bass tree and I would like to think I'm fairly knowledgable when it comes to usable wood comodities.Is it a composite?

Re: What exactly is Basswood?

Go to this Warmoth link and click "Wood descriptions" on the left, then scroll down. It's a good primer:

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/guitarbodies.htm

BTW, they have Basswood = Tilia americana
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Here's a nice little chart.

Comment

Copied from Tom Anderson Guitar web:
        "Pronounced bass like the fish. This wood gained popularity in the 80s and for a time was probably the most used wood for locking tremolo guitars. It is very light weight and produces a fairly even and full mid-range response throughout the entire band width. Many people feel it is extremely well matched with humbucking pickups because it produces a lot of the same frequencies that humbuckers easily reproduce. This is not to say that single coil tones aren't great as well. Toward the end of the late 80s, a few other species of woods were mistakenly thought to be basswood and this seemed to lead to a decline in basswood's popularity. However, true basswood does produce a very pleasing midrange tone and is the only type of basswood used here at Tom Anderson Guitarworks. Ifs natural color is light blonde to of white with little to no discernible grain. For this reason, an opaque paint color is usually chosen for a solid basswood body"

Comment

(B)asswood would be my last choice for a guitar. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great Info, thanks guys it's much appreciated.This is why I keep coming here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            by toejam
            (B)asswood would be my last choice for a guitar.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Toe please explain,according to the sound chart table it's qualities are close to alder,and I love the tone out of my SL2H.I understand that the pups have much to do with it but still?

Comment

I agree with Outlander, my Tom Anderson w/Basswood is one of my best sounding guitars, and I have several Jacksons with this wood and they sound great too!

Comment

I'm pretty sure all of my guitars are Basswood, and I love them all. However, if you go to a craft store, you can buy pieces of basswood for woodworking-and it is a pretty soft wood. It isn't quite like balsa, but definitely not a hardwood. FOr this reason, basswood guitar tend to get banged up a bit more easily. Or maybe I'm just clumsy...

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLANDER:
                  Great Info, thanks guys it's much appreciated.This is why I keep coming here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">by toejam
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Toe please explain,according to the sound chart table it's qualities are close to alder,and I love the tone out of my SL2H.I understand that the pups have much to do with it but still? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just don't really care for the tone of it. I had an Ibanez 7-string made out of it (RG7620) and didn't really like the tone. I thought the guitar played nice overall, but something about the tone I didn't like. I've heard it's supposed to be tonally in between alder and mahogany, but I prefer both those woods, as well as poplar, swamp ash, korina, over basswood any day. I've also played some other guitars made of it and felt the same way. I did play an EBMM Axis one time, and that sounded a little better, from what I remember, but I think the maple cap might have had a little to do with that.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                    (B)asswood would be my last choice for a guitar. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is always Pine or how 'bout Balsawood [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agathis?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agathis? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Chesswood?!!!

Comment

Opposite of treblewood. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ba-dum-bum!
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorX7:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RacerX:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agathis? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Chesswood?!!! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, so maybe I'd take asswood over those two! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

They sure are right about basswood being light. Just got my 375 body, without trem, and it is light as a feather and a solid piece. Now, all I have to do is spend $400 to make a $200 guitar. Should have gone bass fishing.
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X