Block size number stamped on Floyds??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block size number stamped on Floyds??

In the early '90s I got an OFR from Carvin and installed it on my '87 Kramer 600ST that had the old Floyd II single-locking trem. Not realizing at the time there were different size blocks for trems (32mm, 37 and 42), I just installed the new Floyd and it fit fine. The guitar is now retired and I took the OFR off and noticed the block has 37 stamped underneath the patent numbers. I just now looked at the old FRII I had stashed away and there's no patent numbers or block number, but I just compared them and realized the FRII is actually a little bit longer than the 37, so I guess it's the 42mm version. I also just checked out my Warrior with OFR and see that's got 32 stamped on it.
    Did all OFRs originally have the size numbers stamped on the block? Or when did they start doing this? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Block size number stamped on Floyds??

All the Floyds made by Schaller I have ever seen have had the number stamped in them. Did Schaller make that single locking FRII? They made the good double locking later ones I know.

Comment

Actually, there's no indication of where it's made or anything on it at all. All it says is Floyd Rose II on the top of the baseplate on the low string side.

Comment

Probably not made by Schaller, they love to stamp Made in Germany on their stuff!!!

Comment

Yeah, it's kinda weird. I thought the older single-locking FRIIs were supposed to be made by Schaller, also. I guess not.

I also never noticed the OFRs having the block size actually stamped on them either until now. I've had a few through the years and never really paid attention! LOL

Comment

I have two 80's OFR's right here with just the two patent numbers.

Comment

Thanks, Jim. Wonder when they started putting the size on them.

Comment

Possibly when they started making different sizes? I assume that Jim's blocks are for non-recessed Floyds. When recessed Floyds became popular they needed different sizes and an easy way to distinguish them.

Comment

Good point, Jimmy. That does make sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X