Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tricks for removing control cavity cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tricks for removing control cavity cover?

I'm doing a tear-down on my Jackson Strat and both the control cavity and tremolo cavity covers do not want to come off (even with the screws removed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). Anybody got any tricks or hints for getting the metal covers off? I appreciate the help.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Re: Any tricks for removing control cavity cover?

That sometimes happens to me as well. What I do is take a really small flathead screwdrive, the real small ones for eyeglasses, etc. and place it in one of the screw holes of the plastic cover and try to pry it up. It works best at the steepest angle you can make it.

You can alternatively use the flat head right between the cover and the guard and pry it up, but there is a good chance you'll damage your finish, so I don't recommend that way.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

May sound stupid, but try a hair dryer to warm it up. "Not too hot now".
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

What i will do is take some wide packing tape and fold it backwards in a circle against itself and stick it to the cover and use it like a handle to pull it off. Did that make sense?

Dave->
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Ya: You can do that while you are drying your hair.

Comment

Originally posted by fett:
            Ya: You can do that while you are drying your hair.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">For that you need hair. This may be a problem... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks a ton, guys! I used the "hair dryer plus tape" trick to get the control cavity cover off. The trem cover was even tougher but I finally got it loose with the tip of a scissors in a screw hole. Dang, those covers were really stuck on there - I guess that black goop around the edges must act something like a glue.

Comment

No. Stupid!!! You use the tape to re-plant the hair on your head. Glad the combo worked.

Comment

That black goop is stopping me from removing some very cool speakers from a stereo speaker cab to fix the cross-over. Maybe, I will practice what I preach.

Comment

I'd use a putty knife for that fett [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

It bends the frames. That black goop is a diabolical plot to prevent access to the guts. "Remember the BLOB".

Comment

I take my guitar with a firm grip by the neck, then swing it over my head and into something in such an angle that the back where the covers are is facing downwards. You want to make sure that whatever you hit, it hits right below where the cavities are, towards the strap button. Repeat this cycle a few times and you should be set! I practiced this technique on KMaynard's Jake E Lee replica Charvel.

Comment

If that doesn't work, use a bigger hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by fett:
                            No. Stupid!!! You use the tape to re-plant the hair on your head. Glad the combo worked.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Anyone remember the Ronco Hair in a Can commercials? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cool to see you got it off [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by slash:
                              Anyone remember the Ronco Hair in a Can commercials? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cool to see you got it off [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It was a bit of a struggle but the covers came off with no damage to the guitar. And it was very cool to see the work order and other info on the neck and body. Thank goodness, the work order numbers match on the body and neck! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X