JE-1000/MM-04 + EMGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JE-1000/MM-04 + EMGs

Well after a drunk day in Helsinki (blame Tuska Open Air) I decided to go around Musamaailma and get the infamous MM-04;

To make the story short i decided to pair it with a set of EMG 81/85, (I Figured how to wire a on/off switch for gain and a tone pot so far[not wired yet]), the only questions I have are:

1.- I got the green cable wired with the 3-Way Switch, but i cant figure what to do with the part of the EMG wires that was soldered to the volume pots, since it has a plastic pot. (one of my ideas was to try to get a metal pot for it)

2.- how to wire the stereo jack; I was thinking of just connecting it in series with the pickups but I'm afraid I'm going to blow up all the electronics.

3.- I have read to wire the ground from the MM-04 to the floyd plate, but the EMGs aren't grounded so i don't know if this will have any effect or repercussion.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
    Thx a lot.

Is it even possible to use those with active EMGs? I thought JE1000s were for use with passives only.

Anyway,

1. If they are the ground wires, you can solder them to any other ground spot in the cavity.

I don't know about the other two questions. Didn't you get the schematics or something with it?

Comment

Let me continue...

2. You have to wire the jack according to the wiring instructions that came with the EMGs. I don't even know what you mean with wiring it in "series". Just follow the wiring instructions, and you'll be fine.

3. Ground it to the same spot as the pickups.

I agree with Naz that hooking up this gain booster to the active EMGs may not be an entirely good idea, since it was designed for use with passive pickups. No harm in trying though. Let us know if it fries!

Comment

With wiring it in series i mean, that the MM-04 activates the same way the EMGs do, completing the circuit in the stereo Jack, so i guessed since its a circuit using the same voltage ill just either wire both in the jack or wire them in series.

Comment

So, you mean the leads for the battery power? I would connect both the gain booster and the pickups to the same battery source, and not mess with the jack at all. Since the battery's negative lead goes to the middle tab on the jack, it means that the battery is disconnected from the circuit when the guitar is unplugged. No reason to change that.

Btw, who at Musamaailma must I speak to to be able to order the MM-04?

Comment

thx, ill try that once i get back home.

To order I just went there an asked for it, they have it under the counter, mine was in a symantec antivirus corp. edition box. By the way, it seems to be produced by some electronics company and mailed to them. Ill post all of those details later, to demistify this piece of electronics.

Comment

Ok, I just finished wiring up the electronics, I added an extra battery for the MM-04 and wired it like in the diagram, i just wired the black ground to the negative pole of the emg's battery, also I had to change the volume pot for the emg's pot since it didn't fit in my DK2's volume hole.

I must say im in sound nirvana, its in other words, a 18 volts mod for the emgs and the mm-04.

The gain to the top in the MM-04 gave my usual amp settings an almost half volume turn to keep it in normal room play levels.
              I cant wait to try it on stage .
              Last edited by [NEX]; 07-22-2007, 05:31 PM.

Comment

So you basicly copied Alexi Laihos guitar mod...
                Jackson Randy Rhoads Pro 2015
                Jackson "Phobia" King-V
                BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth
                SG Mutt "Swamp Thing"

BC Rich Warlock One Bass

Orange Micro Terror
                Laney TF300
                Randall 1X8

PERKELE!!!

Comment

Now post some clips

Comment

Originally posted by dimobag View Post
                    So you basicly copied Alexi Laihos guitar mod...
                    Well, if he is using an ACTIVE EMG now adays then I did.
                    Last edited by [NEX]; 07-26-2007, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Do you have to wear black fingernail polish to plays this guitar?
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                        Do you have to wear black fingernail polish to plays this guitar?
                        No, but it helps. :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                        X