Floyd nut height problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd nut height problem.

Changed out hardware on my PC3. I got an R4 but as a replacement but it frets out on the first fret no matter how high I raise the bridge. Is there some kind of way I can put a spacer under the nut to raise it?

Thanks in advance!!

Shim the nut.
    http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=24
    -Rick

Comment

Never mind. I was going to ask which one I need but I see it's a set.

Thanks again!!

Comment

You may only need one, but you can stack 'em if you need to.
        Once you tighten the screws down, it isn't going anywhere.

You can also just try cutting some business cards up to put under there.
        -Rick

Comment

If it's the first fret that buzzez don't play in that area of the guitar.
          Last edited by j4vice; 08-08-2007, 04:01 PM.
          JvicE

Comment

Originally posted by j4vice View Post
            If it's the first fret that buzzez, I don't know. When my second fret buzzed the D-string I stuck a knife tip under the first fret and ever so slightly raised it to the point there was no buzz on the second.

I have experimented with various nuts including one with R4 stamped on the bottom. Of course all depends on the neck but the R1 or R2 is prefferred for my set-up. I use the WHAMMY so it pulls up too. Some lic. FR users lock them so they only go down-dive. I set them so I can pul up a lot and it takes a lot of time to set that up. I only one model of JACKSON and I have several of them. I do my own set-up because #1 I am patient (to a degree) and #2 I have found a formula to where I can pull-up the WHAMMY and get no buzz. It begins with thE nut, and then the bridge.

And, although I recomended one size over another, when I measure all four, the come out identical. I asked one of the eBay stores that sold me one and they had an explanation I couldn't figure out.

P.S.I have placed a piece of folded paper under the nut to raise it a little.
            GOOD LUCK.
            Huh... what are you talking about?

The R# on a Floyd nut determines the width, radius and string spacing of the nut.
            Putting an R2 nut (1 5/8) on a PC3 neck (1 11/16) would a) look like shit, b) not fit properly and c) it would decrease the string spacing.
            There IS a measurable difference between them.

Nut #1 - Neck Width 1-9/16" - 10" radius
            Nut #2 - Neck Width 1-5/8" - 10" radius
            Nut #3 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 10" radius
            Nut #4 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 10" radius
            Nut #5 - Neck Width 1-3/4" - 10" radius
            Nut #6 - Neck Width 1-9/16" Bullet - 10" radius

Nut #7 - Neck Width 1-5/8" Bullet - 10" radius

Nut #8 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 10" radius
            Nut #9 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - 15" radius
            Nut #10 - Neck Width 1-11/16" - pending

Also, if you had to raise a fret to get it to stop buzzing, you should have had the frets re crowned, leveled and dressed. Prying one up with a knife blade to "fix" the problem is idiotic.

*makes mental note to never buy a guitar from j4vice*
            -Rick

Comment

I just might need to do that. No LMS has them and that store is out of stock.

Comment

Hey Bryan... use the business card.
                My PC1 came from the factory with a piece of white card stock under the nut as a shim.
                If it's good enough for the PC1 it should be good enough for your PC3. :ROTF:
                -Rick

Comment

Funny stuff. How about a plastic card? I have my Disney World pass that is smooth that I could cut up or is a regular business card preferred?

Comment

Plastic might be a bit thick, as paper will compress just a tad, but try it.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I shimmed the nut on my DK2M with a business card - worked like a charm!!
                      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        Huh... what are you talking about?

The R# on a Floyd nut determines the width, radius and string spacing of the nut.
                        Putting an R2 nut (1 5/8) on a PC3 neck (1 11/16) would a) look like shit, b) not fit properly and c) it would decrease the string spacing.
                        There IS a measurable difference between them.

Also, if you had to raise a fret to get it to stop buzzing, you should have had the frets re crowned, leveled and dressed. Prying one up with a knife blade to "fix" the problem is idiotic.

*makes mental note to never buy a guitar from j4vice*
                        No kidding. WTF were you thinking prying up your frets? Use some fucking common sense. I think you should stop doing your own setups. Seriously.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I normally use different grades of sandpaper for different shim thicknesses. The grit on the paper helps keep it from shifting, too.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Why not use aluminum foil for the shim?

Comment

I recommend buying some cheap feeler gauges from a parts store. Use what you need and you should have some spares.-Lou
                              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Working...
                              X