EMG-HZ: active equivelent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG-HZ: active equivelent?

Which active EMG is the passive HZ humbucker designed to emulate? 60? 81? 89? Other? If I am to upgrade to actives, I want to keep the sound at least near as dammit to the HZ as possible. That may sound strange to some, but I don't like spending ages reprogramming my Boss GT-8, like I had to when I used an SD-loaded KE3 after all my patches were constructed with my WRMG. The idea is to retain as much of the original tone, but produce a higher output without distorting the signal as would be the case with the Turbocharger. Comments?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Honestly, if you dont want the sound to change, why bother upgrading to the actives? If you like how it sounds now, then actives WILL change the sound... usually for the better, but again, I say if youre happy with it then leave well enough alone!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Oh and there are different model HZ's as well... h1-h4, and a few inbetween as well.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I believe the H4 was modeled after the 81 and the H3 is modeled after the 85. i may have that reversed tho. I cant remember which of the HZ had the ceramic magnet and which has the alnico.
        Gil

Comment

I believe the H4 was modeled after the 81 and the H3 is modeled after the 85
          +1

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
            Which active EMG is the passive HZ humbucker designed to emulate? 60? 81? 89? Other? If I am to upgrade to actives, I want to keep the sound at least near as dammit to the HZ as possible. That may sound strange to some, but I don't like spending ages reprogramming my Boss GT-8, like I had to when I used an SD-loaded KE3 after all my patches were constructed with my WRMG. The idea is to retain as much of the original tone, but produce a higher output without distorting the signal as would be the case with the Turbocharger. Comments?
            A higher output humbucker will "push" a tube-amp's preamp and hence will have a big improvement than a regular output humbucker. This is so you may avoid using a overdrive pedal in the front of the amp. For a Solid state device, it will not do squat. its just like putting an OD pedal in front of a SS amp. I have a EMG-81/85 mounted SLSMG and a passive SD combo SL2HT and the only difference a same patch has on both guitars is the tone. The SLSMG sounds way bassier than the SL2HT.

That said, in the GT-8, you can change the "input" decibel level. it will affect all the patches. if you modelled all patches with a active pup and want to switch to a passive, you can increase the input decibel level and vice versa.
            Sam

Comment

Working...
            X