Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell and The Breed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell and The Breed?

Anyone have experience with these pups? Been thinking about possibly putting a HFH in the neck and The Breed in the bridge of my Les Paul Studio(all mahogany, including carved mahogany top). The stock Gibson pups are okay, but I want something with a little more gain, more low end in the bridge and more high end in the neck, so these DiMarzios look like something I would like but I've never heard them.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell and The Breed?

I would rather get the PAF Pro for the neck.
    Or 2x Breed pickups........

Or HFH in Bridge & PAF Pro in neck

etc...

/D

Comment

If you want some serious bottom end try either an X2N or an Invader in the bridge. Huge bottom from either for sure! I think that a PAF Pro or a Super Distortion is great choice for the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by detoxic:
        I would rather get the PAF Pro for the neck.
        Or 2x Breed pickups........

Or HFH in Bridge & PAF Pro in neck

etc...

/D
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm, maybe I'll try a PAF Pro. I'm not really looking for the HFH in the bridge, as I think it would be too bright.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
          If you want some serious bottom end try either an X2N or an Invader in the bridge. Huge bottom from either for sure! I think that a PAF Pro or a Super Distortion is great choice for the neck.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In my Warrior I've actually got an X2N with a Super 2 for the neck. It's a great sound, but I'm not looking for that much power in the LP. I do like the regular Super D in the bridge, so maybe a Super 2 or HFH in the neck would be a better match?

Comment

How about a Steves Special in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck?
            My other guitar player who plays strictly Les Pauls (he has lots of them) swears by these 2 combo's:
            The Zack Wylde set of EMG's
            and
            Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. He calls that combo his Godsmack guitar.

Comment

I did think about EMGs, as I've got them in a few of my guitars, but I've been thinking about keeping this guitar passive now. The Steve's Special seems cool, but I'm not looking for the scooped mid sound that pup puts out. I'll have to look into the Evolutions, too. Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, it's supposed to be brighter, similar to a single coil (almost acoustic sounding in some guitars) with more output and the hum cancelling of a humbucker. I was just reading a little about it on DiMarzio's site and they say it sounds close to a Strat pickup with about the same power as a PAF. I also checked out some Harmony Central reviews and it seems to be pretty cool. Just wondering if anyone here has tried one.

Comment

Joe,

Go ahead and pop in the Breed. I had it in my Mahogany Jackson and it Rocked. I loved it ,it was the sound that I had been looking for for a long time, then when I got my alder Sl-2, I was really dissapointed for a long time cause I couldn't get the same sound as the Breed in the Mahogany body [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick:
                    Joe,

Go ahead and pop in the Breed. I had it in my Mahogany Jackson and it Rocked. I loved it ,it was the sound that I had been looking for for a long time, then when I got my alder Sl-2, I was really dissapointed for a long time cause I couldn't get the same sound as the Breed in the Mahogany body [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks, Rick! I totally forgot you used a Breed at one time. I think I'll go for it, might as well get the HFH, too. I was thinking of getting them with chrome covers, but now I'm contemplating ordering them black/red. Here's the LP they're going in. I also just got a leather Clilock strap today that I'm going to install in a little while. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v91/Toejam/S5.jpg

Comment

Joe, i've always searched for that neck humbucker that would stay thin and wouldn't sound overly bassy and muddy, especially with distorted sounds. Many years and many pickups went by, and then i found DiMarzio's HFH! That pickup is quite extreme in it's ability to stay thin sounding in the neck. Don't get me wrong - it's not an unpleasant thin, it's a good thin. Lots of tone, punch and low end, but somehow the worst of the huge bass is not present with this pickup. At least not in my setup! Guitar used is an alder wood Jackson 1987 Soloist H-H

Bridge: I like a bit of scooped mids so i put in a Steve's Special in the bridge position of that Soloist and i really like this pickup too! I actually prefer it over the EMG85 because of its seemingly lower output and thus a more clear and defined distorted sound. I think it has more punch and clartity compared to the EMG85. I will be putting another Steve's Special in my RR1 later. Thinking about a Paf Joe for the neck. I'm still puzzled as to how the hell you got your own DiMarzio signature pickup, Joe! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, i am using these two pups with a 5-way switch and two push-pull volume pots, giving me tons of different settings. They sound killer together when one of them is split!

On one hand i find discussions about pickups very tempting and interesting, but on the other hand, if you think about it, it's not necessarily useful to you. I am giving you my view on these pickups, mounted in a totally different guitar, an unknown (to you) amp and speaker setup with a different (i bet) reference as to what good tone is. But heck, there you have it. The HFH/SS combo is a killer! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

/Henrik
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
                        Thinking about a Paf Joe for the neck. I'm still puzzled as to how the hell you got your own DiMarzio signature pickup, Joe! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL I'm wondering that myself! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I just noticed that earlier on DiMarzio's site, as I hadn't been there in a long time.

Anyway, thanks for the review of the HFH, Henrik! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I think it should be perfect for what I'm looking for in the mahogany body without being muddy. I've kinda got that old EVH mentality going on now where a darker pup should be in the bridge and a brighter one in the neck so they balance out better without having to change the settings on my amp. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

doesnt the HFH sound like a single coil?

Comment

Hey I saw this post a bit late but in my Les Paul I use a HFH and a SD in my guitar. The HBH gives a really clean strat like noise. I love it as when you distort it and roll back the tone control you have that cool shred type tone. It never gets muddy if you are clever with your tweaks and is a perfect compliment for the SD in the bridge. It also makes my Les Paul good for country twang.... Yee haa.

Recommended.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, Jeremy! I'm looking forward to getting the HFH soon. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X