Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major neck relief?

Hey folks...
    I was trying to tweak the action on a San Dimas reissue, and I'm having issues with major buzzing in the lower register...from about the second to the fifth. The only way I've been able to get rid of it is to adjust the neck with MAJOR neck relief. Like so much relief that the truss rod can't get any looser! The frets are in good shape, and it is a U.S. SD neck, so I'm assuming that it's made well. Anybody have any advice how to correct this? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Major neck relief?

I'm thinking one of two things. Either the nut slots are cut a bit low, or you have a high fret. The second is more likely since the buzzing stops at the fifth fret. The easiest way to check is to straighten the neck out visually, then check the first few frets with a straightedge. If it rocks, you have a high fret. This sort of thing is relatively common and is an easy fix for any good tech.

Comment

I also have buzzing on the lower frets, and I think I have a high 6th fret for the high E.

My question is, what exactly is the easy fix? what would the tech do specifically to fix a high fret?

Thanks,

Comment

BM,
        That's what I thought too initially, a high fret. But it's not realy a consistant buzz like a high fret would give. (I.E., all strings buzzing across the 4th fret for example) You know how a neck with a bad back bow will buzz in random positions on all the lower frets until you put some relief in it? That's what it's like, but the neck definitely isn't back bowed. This is a new one to me... that's why I brought it to my fellow tecc heads here. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Somebody out there has to have run across this before. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

It is 1 of 3 things.
          1. twisted neck (would need to be heat treated)
          2. a high fret (one might have popped up a bit) put a straight edge across the frets. If one is high; tap it down with a hammer and a block of wood)
          3. the nut is cut too low. If it has a locknut than just shim it. If it has a plain nut get a new one and make the slots less deep. You can tell by loosening up the strings and putting something in the nut slots (paper for instance) to raise the strings up. Before you do either of these 2 procedures, adjust the truss rod for the proper relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Subvamp:
            BM,
            That's what I thought too initially, a high fret. But it's not realy a consistant buzz like a high fret would give. (I.E., all strings buzzing across the 4th fret for example) You know how a neck with a bad back bow will buzz in random positions on all the lower frets until you put some relief in it? That's what it's like, but the neck definitely isn't back bowed. This is a new one to me... that's why I brought it to my fellow tecc heads here. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Somebody out there has to have run across this before. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not everything has to buzz for there to be a high fret. Like jgcable said, you could have a fret that's lifting slightly. If you have low action, even the most minute change in fret height will effect the strings.

How high do you keep the action? If you like it super low then try raising it up a bit. If that helps out, you'll probably need to get the frets redressed for the action to be where you want it.

Comment

Hey guys..
              Thanks for the info...sure enough I had a fret lifting very slightly on the high E side. (where you'd never think to look...) Took a syringe with some crazy glue, put a little dab into the slot and pushed the fret back down, and now it's fine. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Once again the JCF to the rescue! Thanks! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X