humbucker reccomendations for replacing a JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humbucker reccomendations for replacing a JB

currently i have duncan JBs in most of my guitars. i like em, but lately ive been wanting something that screams a little more. something where the harmonics come out more. i love the tone of the JB, very bright and clear but heavy as well. can anyone reccommend anything that would suit me? nothing too muddy or middy. Ive tried the super distortion but its got too many mids for me.

Re: humbucker reccomendations for replacing a JB

Emg 85 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer the Distortion over the JB. Best metal riffing pickup ever!

Comment

i dont like the sound of the EMG 81 OR 85. sounds too fake for me.

yeah ive been listening to the Distortion, the Custom Custom and the new live wire metal active pickup.

how do those EMG HZ's sound? do they sound more natural that their active counterparts?

Comment

I've replies to many of these "which humbucker" threads, and I always say,

Go with DiMarzio, and you'll never want a SDuncan again.

Well, maybe I never actually said it exactly like that, but it's true.
          nandrew

Comment

...Actually, I'm digging on the Duncan Pearly Gates these days...not SUPER-high output, but amazing harmonics!

Comment

May want to look into a Dimarzio Steve's Special. It's got more of a scooped sound to it that you might like.

Comment

screamin demon, the custom or custom custom are great but the demon has lower output but more harmonics & overtones. so if you dont mind slighty lower output than a JB the demon is it.

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa:
                  i dont like the sound of the EMG 81 OR 85. sounds too fake for me.

how do those EMG HZ's sound? do they sound more natural that their active counterparts?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're going backwards here. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                    You're going backwards here. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed!

EMG 85! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
                      screamin demon, the custom or custom custom are great but the demon has lower output but more harmonics & overtones. so if you dont mind slighty lower output than a JB the demon is it.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah I put a screamin demon in a Jap strat and was amazed at the punch and overall tone. I thought it had great output but I've never used JB

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa:
                        ...lately ive been wanting something that screams a little more. something where the harmonics come out more...
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">same problem i have / had
                        i´m 4 steps down on C and through a randall RH100
                        and i also miss highs and harmonics
                        (for me, the mids are always a myth, i have to add some to get harmonics, while´i don´t like the typical mid-growl in chords)
                        i allready considered to mod the high control, is that possible, is there someone on the board who could do that?
                        since i put a duncan distortion im my model6 i´m quite satisfied for the moment, it screams the hell out of my stuff [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        even this one has that many lows, sometimes i get a low-feedback [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        but i also like to test the fullshred and screamin demon things [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        on sandard E i think i would prefer the demon
                        but i don´t know with the low C (on the SD HP the tonechart show little extended lows at the demon) [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by nandrewjackson:
                          I've replies to many of these "which humbucker" threads, and I always say,

Go with DiMarzio, and you'll never want a SDuncan again.

Well, maybe I never actually said it exactly like that, but it's true.
                          nandrew
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">heh...i'm the exact opposite. i've tried super distortions and paf pros, and they sound so brittle to my ears.

i think that your jb issue may have somethin to do with its height. try lowering it a bit. gotta say that i've had improved harmonics when i put a jb in.

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

anyone tried those new duncan active live wires? specifically the metal pickup?

Comment

I had a JB in my Rhoads to replace the stock broken pickup, then I replaced the JB with a Duncan Custom and I liked it much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X