Desperately Need Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperately Need Help!!!

I don't know if this is the right section but I really need some help.

You see, my RR3 has developed a very annoying problem. The sound when I'm playing keeps cutting out, but comes back if I twiddle about with the my cable at the input socket. At first I thought it was just my cable but I've tried many others since and the problem persists so I'm guessing it's something involving the wires inside the guitar. However, the only thing I really know about guitars is how to play them so I don't know 'exactly' what is wrong.

Could someone tell me what needs doing and how much it will cost to have it fixed because I really am HOPELESS at D.I.Y and I have a lot of gigs coming up!

Thanks!
    sigpic
    And on the 8th day,
    God kicked back with a beer,
    And gave that Jackson one helluva beating!

sounds like it might be just your input jack, try closing the gap on the tab of the input jack, this would require you to get access to the input jack but more than likely you will need to re-soldier the two wires or replace the input jack itself. they are not expensive, about 10 bucks or so

jon

Comment

Yep... sounds like your input jack needs a little help.
      Easy to fix.
      Does your cable move around a bit in the jack or is it solid?
      If it moves, just undo the two screws holding the jack plate on, pull the jack out a bit and then pinch the contacts in a bit.
      Reassemble and you should be good to go.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        Yep... sounds like your input jack needs a little help.
        Easy to fix.
        Does your cable move around a bit in the jack or is it solid?
        If it moves, just undo the two screws holding the jack plate on, pull the jack out a bit and then pinch the contacts in a bit.
        Reassemble and you should be good to go.
        Well, yes and no. It did move around a bit but that's because the nut, washer thing (sorry, not technically minded) was loose so I tightened it and it stopped moving but the sound still cut's out!
        sigpic
        And on the 8th day,
        God kicked back with a beer,
        And gave that Jackson one helluva beating!

Comment

Being loose may have caused a wire to become partially frayed.
          Pull the jack out and inspect the wiring. There should be enough slack for you to pull it out and check it.
          -Rick

Comment

And if it is frayed, before you go anywhere near it with a soldering iron, cover the body with a towel, just like you would cover a patient if you were a surgeon, with just the bit you are working on visible. Otherwise, if you're not savvy with an iron, you will end up with globs of molten solder spunked all over your lovely guitar.

Better still, get someone who is used to soldering, the longest part of this job is waiting for the iron to get to temperature, so they shouldn't rape you for too much money, if at all.
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
            X