GOT MY CHARVEL. now the questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOT MY CHARVEL. now the questions...

Thanks to you guys I got a charvel fusion just like the one I wanted in high school. I am totally stoked with it but I have a few questions:
    1) I have blocked the schaller trem but I dont care for my hand resting on the fine tuners, is there a friendlier trem bridge that would slip in that has the fine tuners in the back?

2) what the heck is with the 5 way switch? I have no clue what position is doing what. (the guitar has a volume knob, 5 way, and a single in the neck and a humbucker (looks like two seperate coils) in the bridge position.

3) I want a van halen/ sammy H sound. ( I have other guitars that crunch plenty hard) What passive humbucker would you suggest for the bridge. Right now the guitar is just too crunchy.

Thanks a million guys. this forum has renewed my interest in guitars and I am already scouting for a rhodes....

Re: GOT MY CHARVEL. now the questions...

Originally posted by aggro_jo:
    I am already scouting for a rhodes....
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh, you want a piano next? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have blocked the schaller trem but I dont care for my hand resting on the fine tuners, is there a friendlier trem bridge that would slip in that has the fine tuners in the back?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i've got a jt6 in nice shape that i'd trade ya for the schaller! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

1) I have blocked the schaller trem but I dont care for my hand resting on the fine tuners, is there a friendlier trem bridge that would slip in that has the fine tuners in the back?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm...that a bit of a tricky one. The only trem that comes to mind is the Jackson JT-6, but I think many people would say that replacing a Schaller for that would be to downgrade the guitar(?). I'm no expert in that field though, so I'm sure someone else can comment further on that.

EDIT: Hehe Sully, I hope I'm not ruining your potential business! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I know next to nothing about the JT-6 though.

Comment

The 5-way sounds like the Jackson Special 5-way switch - selections should be:
          1-Bridge1
          2-Bridge2
          3-All 3
          4-Bridge2 + Neck
          5-Neck

The JT580 LP and the JT-6 trems both offer a lower profile than the Schaller, but the 580 is a POS IMO. Haven't tried the JT-6.

As for bridge pickups, if it has the two slanted singles together, those are two separate pickups. You can replace each one with a Duncan JB Jr, Lil Screamin Demon, and/or Lil 59, or 2 EMG SAs if you wanted actives. I'd go with the Duncans, personally. The JB Jr sounds a lot better to me than the full-sized JB humbucker in the bridge.
          You could also scout around for older Hot Rails that do not have the Fender-style tabs in the middle.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane:
            I think many people would say that replacing a Schaller for that would be to downgrade the guitar(?). I'm no expert in that field though, so I'm sure someone else can comment further on that.

EDIT: Hehe Sully, I hope I'm not ruining your potential business! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I know next to nothing about the JT-6 though. [/QB]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] nah, it's all good. the deal with the jt6 is that yes, it's not as well made as the schaller or ofr (lesser quality of the metal). however, what i don't care for about the jt6 is exactly what he wants it for.

i actually just got the jt6 from tekky, and it's a nice one and in good shape. i got it to put back on my spectrum to return it to stock. just haven't gotten around to it yet.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
              [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] nah, it's all good. the deal with the jt6 is that yes, it's not as well made as the schaller or ofr (lesser quality of the metal). however, what i don't care for about the jt6 is exactly what he wants it for.

i actually just got the jt6 from tekky, and it's a nice one and in good shape. i got it to put back on my spectrum to return it to stock. just haven't gotten around to it yet.

sully
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I knew I shouldn't have sold it to you. I'd have a Schaller by now. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              Occupy JCF

Comment

2) what the heck is with the 5 way switch? I have no clue what position is doing what. (the guitar has a volume knob, 5 way, and a single in the neck and a humbucker (looks like two seperate coils) in the bridge position.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's sounds like you might have a Fusion Special there. Are the bridge pickups slanted? The switch works just like a strat switch.

neck
                neck + middle
                middle
                middle + bridge
                bridge

If the neck pickup is slanted you have a Fusion deluxe and then Newc would be correct.

Comment

thanks for the info. I think I'll post a pic and that will make it alot easier to figure out exactly what I got. I believe it is a fusion special though. pics tomorrow. thanks again

Comment

If it is a fusion special, the JT-6 will not fit-the trem recess needs to be widened, and the block is too long. (trust me, I tried it). If the pickups have the CHarvel logo on them, ditch them-they suck. I replaced mine with J-200's and they are a big improvement, and then put a lil 59 in the neck-sounds great.

Comment

i love the jt-6. i think that all flyod designes should think about putting the fine tuners where the jt-6 does. i've got 2 charvels with jt-6's (ok sully has one of them right now) and i think they hold tune just as good if not better than the shallers. i never have taken them out of tune while palm muting or bumping them while strumming hard. granted the quality of metal is not as good, and you have to be careful about striping the bolt that holds the string in place because of that. but with that in mind, they can last.
                      plus, the base plate is made for the string radius so that if you take it all apart, you don't have to figure out which saddles go where. which makes it nice when you get another one for parts, all the saddles are the same. i wish the sahllers were like that.

~JW
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I agree, the JT6 is such a superior design in theory as far as functionality goes, but they did use cheap pot-metal. But with the hardened steel knife-edge inserts what the fuck does the metal composition of the base plate matter??? Oh yeah, I forgot about those of you who swear that it decreases the sustain. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                        It's all fucking snake oil as far as I'm concerned and the old JT6s ROCK!!!
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                        X