Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning Problems Help!!!

Originally posted by rattojack:
    Is this something that takes a long time to do or am I just doing something wrong?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sometimes it does take awhile to do. Just keep tuning the strings up until they're all in pitch. Then stretch the hell out of the strings by bending and pulling them off the board... retune to pitch and keep stretching until they don't go out of tune, then lock the nut down. After locking the nut, the strings may go a tiny bit sharp, but that's why there's fine tuners on the Floyd. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Tuning Problems Help!!!

That is the best advice, get another guitar for the alternate tuning, it'll save a lot of gray hairs! By the way, great advice on tuning and setting up the trem guys. Heed their advice.

Comment

Tuning Problems Help!!!

I recently bought a Jackson SL2H and I haven't had experience with a Floyd Rose before. I alternate between playing guitar at standard pitch and tuned down half a step to an Eb.
      I'm having a difficult time getting the bridge to be level with the guitar body and in tune at the same time.
      I'm adjusting the spring claw screws and tuning up and down and I still can't get it just right. Either the bridge is tilted a little forward or backword and everytime I tune a string the rest go out of tune. I've tried to compensate by tuning the some strings a little sharp while tuning the others to pitch. What a pain!
      Is this something that takes a long time to do or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Comment

You'd have a much easier life if you keep the SL2H in one tuning and use another guitar for when you play around with other tunings.

As for levelling the bridge: Tune the guitar up to pitch and see where the bridge ends up. Adjust the trem claw screws accordingly, giving them half a turn each. Retune the guitar and check it again. Rinse and repeat until you end up with a level bridge and a guitar tuned up to pitch.

It's not totally crucial to have the bridge exactly level with the body. Some people prefer to have it tilted up a little, for increased range when pulling up on the trem.

If you can't stand all this and/or you absolutely must use the same guitar for different tunings, there is one more thing you can do: Block the bridge. This blocks the trem from being pulled up on (and disables you from doing "flutter" effects with it), but you would still be able to perform ordinary tremmage and dive bombs. See one of the sticky threads in this section for all you need to know about blocking a Floyd.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Working...
          X