need info on trem. compatability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need info on trem. compatability.

I do some "tech." work for a band that I know.
    The guitar player has a Hamer "slammer series" guitar with a licensed floyd, and if he breaks a string he won't even put another one on, he'll let it sit in a corner for months, or whenever I notice, I'll fix it for him, whichever comes first..
    It's not that I'm his ***** , it's just that he'll fuck it up if he does it. Trust me, this band can't even hook up a PA system correctly. I went over there the other day, and they had the powered outputs of a PA head running into the inputs of powered speakers. It sounded like shit, and I told them not only that, but it could probably fry both pieces of equipment. I ran the line outs of the PA into the powered speakers. These guys just don't understand....

Anyway, I am wanting to put a trem on that guitar that doesn't need the ball end chopped off and doesn't need the trem totally blocked.

Here's what I was thinking,
    If there is a trem I can get that will fit on the floyd posts, and then I will intstall a trem setter, so he can still have, at least, some trem action. And I will do away with the locking nut. WEll, remove the locking blocks anyway.
    He hates the double locking thing.
    "it goes out of tune when a string breaks"
    "too much hassle"
    "blah blah blah blah blah"
    plus, if he does actually change a string, he locks everything so tight he rounds off the allen wrench and the allen screws

anyway,
    what trem would do what I need to do?

Thanks for anyresponses,
    Nandrew

Re: need info on trem. compatability.

axcessories.com sells single locking licensed floyds very cheap. If his trem is in decent shape I will trade you the single locker off my fusion special (black).

Comment

Oh, and I believe allparts or WD sells replacement nuts for Floyds that are graphite I think. check their websites out.

Comment

I'm not familiar with that series or any other series of Hammer [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] , but if the licensed-Floyd is similar in nature to others out there, you can replace the trem with a single-locking floyd.

There called single-locking in that you only lock it at the nut. The ball ends of the the strings stay on at the bridge side. So, when a string breaks you feed it through the bridge like a traditional trem.

I've seen lots of single locking trems thru the years. Even Floyd Rose made a couple. I found this one on Ebay which *might* fit the bill. I'd like someone else to verify that this trem is indeed single-locking. Whatever it is , it does not look like an OFR.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...718891370&rd=1

For replacing trems, you also need to make sure you use a similar length block, so there's enough clearance to reach the springs in the back. Well, that's my idea. Who's next?!
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

thanks, guys.
          I didn't know single locking floyds even existed!!!!

I'll check into that.
          gimme a while to talk to the owner of the guitar, I'm sure he'll OK the project,
          then maybe we can make a trade for the floyds.

nandrew

Comment

Yes, that is a single locking FLoyd. THe only difference is the saddles. Instead of the locking bolt going back through the plate, the whole saddle does. and it has a channel through it to feed the string through. THe problem with mine is that the part of the saddle which feeds through the slots in the plate tends to bind in there and make the fine tuners useless. I don't know if the newer ones are any better though.

Comment

Working...
            X