OFR basic cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR basic cleaning

When doing the occasional guitar cleaning (which for me is VERY occasional), what's the best solvent/oil/cleaner/whatever for wiping down an OFR with? I'm talking both black and chrome. I see a LOT of OFR's that aren't that old with major rust, pitting, corrosion, etc. I live in a high humidity area too, which I'm sure only increases the dangers.

WD40 and an old toothbrush have always worked wonders for me on Floyds.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      WD40 and an old toothbrush have always worked wonders for me on Floyds.
      +1
      Just don't use WD40 on the gold plated Floyds.
      It can discolor them. For those, a little lemon oil works great.
      -Rick

Comment

WD 40 contains water albeit a small amount so a cleaner, lube and protector does it all in one step.It should be marked CLP on the container.Break free is the product I use.I cleaned a very rusty OFR 2 years ago and it shows no sign of rust to this day.
        This is one of the
        products the army Rangers use to protect their weapons from rust and corrosion.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          WD 40 contains water albeit a small amount so a cleaner, lube and protector does it all in one step.It should be marked CLP on the container.Break free is the product I use.I cleaned a very rusty OFR 2 years ago and it shows no sign of rust to this day.
          This is one of the
          products the army Rangers use to protect their weapons from rust and corrosion.
          +1. Yup, we use it in the Air Force as well to clean and lube our weapons. Only takes a tiny bit to get the job done. And be sure to wash your hands immediately afterwards. That shit's toxic.
          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I always used alcohol and a toothbrush. I'm gonna go with WD40 now
            Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
            Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
            Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Is WD40 still the consensus of the board?

Comment

When I was younger, we used WD40 on the car distributor (remember those?) to displace water if wet from rain (and arching).

WD40 works great. I used just a few weeks ago on a BCR Lic Floyd.

Comment

a friend of mine actually takes everything apart and soaks them in wd40 overnight. gets all the crap, gunk, rust out works pretty well.

Comment

Another thing we used on weapons was TW25B a dry lube used after cleaning.This shit is awesome for keeping metal sealed from moisture.
                    You could be in a stream sneaking up on Charlie with your weapon under water or in the rain all night watching Charlie and your weapon would not be affected at all.
                    It works on trems great if you have a high acid content in your sweat and corrode a trem in no time.
                    I have one customer that plays in a country band and his sweat will rust a set of string in one gig.He would always complain about his trem rusting I treated it with TW25B and it still has no signs of rust after 1 year.(I worked on his guitar today and I was surprised how good the trem looked).
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      When I was younger, we used WD40 on the car distributor (remember those?) to displace water if wet from rain (and arching).

WD40 works great. I used just a few weeks ago on a BCR Lic Floyd.
                      WD means "water displacing."

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                        Another thing we used on weapons was TW25B a dry lube used after cleaning.This shit is awesome for keeping metal sealed from moisture.
                        You could be in a stream sneaking up on Charlie with your weapon under water or in the rain all night watching Charlie and your weapon would not be affected at all.
                        It works on trems great if you have a high acid content in your sweat and corrode a trem in no time.
                        I have one customer that plays in a country band and his sweat will rust a set of string in one gig.He would always complain about his trem rusting I treated it with TW25B and it still has no signs of rust after 1 year.(I worked on his guitar today and I was surprised how good the trem looked).
                        Where do you get TW25B?

Comment

www.amazon.com has it

Comment

Working...
                          X