airconditioning and guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airconditioning and guitars?

In my room i installed one of those air conditioners that go out of the window. could this damage my guitar?

[ April 18, 2004, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: MichaelMadeja ]

Re: airconditioning and guitars?

Only if you tie the guitar to it as it goes out the window [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

No, it won't hurt it. Just don't set the guitar right in front of the vent, or under it - in case it leaks in the room you won't get the guitar wet.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The only thing that will happen is your guitar may go out of tune a little as the room gets colder. If the temp change is rather drastic you might need a slight truss rod adjustment.

Comment

It's not the head, it's the humidity!

(Sorry, it had to be said.)
        sigpic

Comment

Most air conditioning systems are okay, but if you have a swamp cooler I'd be worried because they raise the humidity of a room a shitload.

HTH

Comment

Yeah, but in an area where you'd USE a swamp cooler isn't it likely to be so dry that you won't push the relative humidity past 50% anyway?

And since it's *usually* drier air that's a problem, I suspect this is a good thing anyway...

Comment

i never have my guitars in my room because when i turn the a/c off the walls and the floor become wet, from the huge difference in temp, i'd have em in a more stable temperature wise room

Comment

Yeah, but in an area where you'd USE a swamp cooler isn't it likely to be so dry that you won't push the relative humidity past 50% anyway?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Generally yes, but a lot of people all over the country (even here in Oregon) use swamp coolers. They are everywhere and in a place like around here where AC isn't built into most homes, (the temp hardly ever gets too hot in summer) they become the only option at times when it does get too hot for a week or two. I personaly don't use one at all, it's not worth it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by metallicarocks:
                  Most air conditioning systems are okay, but if you have a swamp cooler I'd be worried because they raise the humidity of a room a shitload.

HTH
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">how does that work?

mine has a thing where water drips out of the AC to the outside.

Comment

Isn't a swamp cooler just a big block of ice with a fan blowing on it? I saw an episode of CSI where a guy got electrocuted from thewater on the floor. BE CAREFUL!

Comment

I figured it out, A swamp cooler is when you run a waterline to the air conditioner.

Comment

Yeah, it drips water through an element while a fan is blowing through it, using the moisture to cool the air. In a nutshell. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Good one, Ken [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I use just regular CH/A [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          Though window-mounted units are good, you do have to have a place for the condensation to run out the back. Plus you have to make sure it's not running back into the wall.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I believe temperature extremes affect guitars more than humidity extremes. If you are really concerned about humidity, cases are available that will keep humidity stable, although I believe they can be pricey. I have been in places that get very hot and humid in the summer and very cold and dry in the winter. The only time I had a problem was when I couldn't keep the temperature down in the winter (heater malfunction). I had fretboards crack and an acoustic bridge lift off the face of a guitar.

Comment

Why would you want to cool the air in a "nutshell"? I'm swamped, but I'm cool.
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X