So did I really need long pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So did I really need long pots?

Installed EMG's today, everything went well, except for I accidently reversed the toggle switch. (It was my first time installing pickups or using a soldering iron, so I was pretty happy).

BUT

I am having two problems, first this happened. I don't know how that one pot is so much farther out than the others. Very wierd. Do I just need new knobs? I don't think they go all the way down anyways.

Second is, I need to adjust the bridge pickup higher than that springs currently allow it to raise. Can I just cut the springs a bit so I have more room to raise the pickup?

Re: So did I really need long pots?

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hope your second post contains an answer! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Dude, If you have another nut that will fit the pot shaft just put it one on (on the inside) One (on the outside) and adjust them to the proper position. Some washers would be nice too.

You could cut the springs and stretch them out a little if you have no shorter ones?

Comment

Can I just cut the springs a bit so I have more room to raise the pickup?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I cut the springs and place the cut end against the metal bracket of the pickup, cos sometimes the sharp end of the newly cut spring can dig into the plastic humbucking ring on the other side. Sometimes I also switch the bridge pickup ring with a taller one so the pickup doesn't need to rise that far from the ring.

As for the long pot, I'd due what Starguitar suggested. Did you notice that 1 pot shaft being longer than the other 3 before you insatlled it? That's pretty weird if it can from one set.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
          X