tension springs...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tension springs...?

Long story, please bear with me. My SL3 originally came with 9-42 gauge strings. When I did a string change I went with 9-46 and I had to tighten down the claw a good amount to to keep the bridge from standing up. Now I want to go to 10-46 and I'm thinking I'm going to have to add a 4th spring. So I went around to a bunch of music stores to find one and I finally find a place that has them. The guy hands me one and it looks a lot smaller than the ones on my guitar. I tell him that and he says "No, they're all the same...it will fit." So I get home and compare it to the ones on my guitar and it definitely looks a little smaller. It's skinnier and the winds seem smaller and tighter. Am I on crack or should I not use the spring? And where can I get the right one?

Re: tension springs...?

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it fits in the trem block and over the spring claw, it will work fine.

Comment

You can change the old springs too. Depending how old they are and what usage they had been put to they could have lost their qualities. For 10-46 set three springs should be enough.

Comment

If it's smaller, then it's probably got a tighter tension. I'd put it somewhere in the middle to balance things a little.

Comment

Actually, there are different tensions of springs around. From my experience the ones they use in the newer Fender Strats are heavier tension than the older ones and definitely heavier than the one's in our J/C's. FWIW I use 10-46 and I always use 3 springs in them except for my DK-2 ED which I have been modding. That one has two Fender springs in it and they work just like the 3 springs in my other guitars. You can feel that they are noticably harder to stretch and bend when they are not installed. Hope this helps.

Comment

Just for reference, here is a European site that has at least two different tensions of springs....

http://www.musik-produktiv.at/shop2/.../sid/!06082002

Comment

Working...
            X