No announcement yet.

Question regarding mixed string gauges... 10s on the bottom and 9s on the top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding mixed string gauges... 10s on the bottom and 9s on the top

I don't see a problem with mixing string sets. There are many well known guitarist that do so. If it feels and sounds good to you, go ahead. As to the truss rod, trem you just have to see what happens when you put them on. Keep us informed.

Re: Question regarding mixed string gauges... 10s on the bottom and 9s on the top

Plenty of manufacturers make mixed sets like that. For instance, I use GHS Boomers on my Hamer that are 9s on top (9, 11, 16) and 10s on the bottom (26, 36, 46), tuned to E. That's the way I got the guitar when Pete had it, so I decided to keep it that way for the past few string changes. I've used 10-46 for years in E, Eb or D, now I use 11-48 for D. I think I'm going to go to a full 10-46 on the Hamer, as the 9s do feel a little looser, especially on the short scale. Try it out on your guitar and see how you like it.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: Question regarding mixed string gauges... 10s on the bottom and 9s on the top

DUDES!!! Awesome. Thanks. D'Addario's website hasn't been working for what seems like ages, so I just looked at www.juststrings.com and saw that D'Addario does offer the packs in the gauges you guys are referring to:

EXL125 - 9-46 (for my standard tuned guitar)
      EXL140 - 10-52 (for my D tuned guitar)

What would the appropriate hybrid set for a C tuned guitar, 11 top and ____ bottom? I'm gonna put my RG560 in C.

Comment

There's nothing magic to a string set; it's just packaging. Several companies make what you're looking for. D'Addario has already been mentioned, and Ernie Ball sells "Hybrid" sets.

Comment

Question regarding mixed string gauges... 10s on the bottom and 9s on the top

I've heard of hybrid string sets but I don't know what the string gauges are like.

I've been playing 10s on all my electric guitars for as long as I can remember. Recently, I set up my KE3 in D tuning, still with the D'Addario 10s, and I liked the slightly reduced tension, especially in the unwound strings.

I want to keep the low E, A, and G as my usual D'Addario 10 set, but I want to have 9s on the unwound strings. What can I expect of the trem, neck, trussrod, etc. when I change these three strings over to the new lower gauge? Is there any reason that I SHOULDN'T mix gauges keeping the same tuning (standard tuning)?

If I like it and it's problem-free, I'm going to start ordering hybrid sets from www.juststrings.com - standard tuning will have 10 bottom and 9 top, while D tuning will have 11 bottom and 10 top. Thick chunky riffing on the lower strings, ease of soloing on the top strings. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Comment

its fine try Daddario 10-52s for tuning down.

Comment

it's no problem whatsoever. i use 9-46 (9 top, 10 bottom). string em up and see. you may have to add a bit of tension, but you may not even notice a difference.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
              X