Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DiMarzio Super Distortion or Duncan Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Super Distortion or Duncan Distortion?

I have a Duncan Distortion on my 650XL, but I feel the guitar still sounds too much on the treble side. I was thinking on getting a DiMarzio Super Distortion for this Charvel, will it give more overall bottom to its sound?

Also, it can be coil-splitted, can't it?

How is this pickup harmonic wise? I like the harmonics of the Duncan and I don't want to lose them...

[ April 16, 2004, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: agresivo ]

Re: DiMarzio Super Distortion or Duncan Distortion?

Personally I didn't like the DiMarzio SD; sounds too muddy for me. I definitely prefer the Duncan Distortion, though, but then I generally cut the highs a bit and boost the bass-end, because it can be quite shrill.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Mmmh... [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] How about adjusting the pole pieces of the Duncan to achieve a darker sound?

[img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

I've never tried a Duncan Distortion, but I've also heard it's a bit on the treble side. The DiMarzio Super Distortion sounds amazing in my JJP and is well balanced with a little less treble.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by agresivo:
          Mmmh... [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] How about adjusting the pole pieces of the Duncan to achieve a darker sound?

[img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup - you can do that. You can also lower the treble side or raise the bass side of the pickup itself (not the poles, but the mounting screw).
          That's what I like about passive over active pickups - they respond really well to pole and height adjustments - with EMGs you just put 'em right under the strings and tweak an EQ and the gain. With passives, you can alter the bass and treble response directly at the pickup, and it'll have the same response through any amp (allowing for the differences between amps), whereas with an EQ... well, you gotta drag it around with you [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I absolutely love the Distortion in my 650xl.
            I don't find it to be too much on the treble, however. Although I have adjusted the pole pieces to my liking. I would suggest doing that first. If you still don't like it and you want to sell the Distortion cheap, let me know. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer the Duncan Distortion over the Dimarzio. The Dimarzio's just sound too muddy. I agree with the others, just lower the treble side of the pickup slightly and you will probably love the results.

Comment

I agree the DD is a very sweet pickup.Its all in the pickup/polepiece height.I too crank up the E and A poles leave the D just out of the recess and G,B and E flush with the top of the pickup.I use a JB in the neck and DD in the bridge on my mahogony fusion H-H.The tone is dark and purcussive but when using the DD only It brightens up a little but the distortion is clean but very raw if that makes any sense.Absolutly smokes thru a dual rectifier.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X