Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on scale length

Hi guys,

I'm more of a seven string player these days and I have a quick question that has to do with the construction and scale length. I like the 25.5" scale for 6 strings, but on 7 the low B dosen't have the tension I want. Yeah, I could go for a heavier B, but I played a Schecter Hellraiser (26.5 scale) and I loved the way it handled the B. Question is, my hands started to hurt a bit after playing it (I have small hands, maybe it was too much?) so would it be possible to have a guitar made in a 26" scale length or would there be issues with intonation and tuning? I see most companies go from 25.5" -> 26.5" -> 27" lengths, but is 26" workable or would it just not be worth the hassle to have someone do a custom scale like that? I figure if it's closer to 25.5 like what I'm used to my hands won't hurt, but it'll give me the tension I want. Thanks for any help.

- Irfaan -

25" plays like butter!! So I could only imagine a 26" would transpose to the same on a 7 string.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by IrfaanSE801 View Post
      Hi guys,

I'm more of a seven string player these days and I have a quick question that has to do with the construction and scale length. I like the 25.5" scale for 6 strings, but on 7 the low B dosen't have the tension I want. Yeah, I could go for a heavier B, but I played a Schecter Hellraiser (26.5 scale) and I loved the way it handled the B. Question is, my hands started to hurt a bit after playing it (I have small hands, maybe it was too much?) so would it be possible to have a guitar made in a 26" scale length or would there be issues with intonation and tuning? I see most companies go from 25.5" -> 26.5" -> 27" lengths, but is 26" workable or would it just not be worth the hassle to have someone do a custom scale like that? I figure if it's closer to 25.5 like what I'm used to my hands won't hurt, but it'll give me the tension I want. Thanks for any help.

- Irfaan -
      Interesting. I'd like to augment the question...will the J/C CS even make guitars with those scale lengths?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        Interesting. I'd like to augment the question...will the J/C CS even make guitars with those scale lengths?

I don't know, but there are smaller builders that are willing to do pretty much anything these days, so I just wanted to know if it's possible. I thought someone said J/C aren't doing baritone scales anymore, but I could be mistaken

Comment

There shouldn't be any issue with a 26" scale other than finding a builder that will make it in your price range.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the responses guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              J/C CS won't do it. I tried to get a baritone scale CS order and after they had the order for 18 mos. they decided to no longer offer a baritone scale length.

Go elsewhere my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
                J/C CS won't do it. I tried to get a baritone scale CS order and after they had the order for 18 mos. they decided to no longer offer a baritone scale length.

Go elsewhere my friend.
                Interesting. I wasn't really in the market anyway, I picked up one of those MIK BC Rich baritone bich beaters for $300ish. It's not pretty but it gets the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                  There shouldn't be any issue with a 26" scale other than finding a builder that will make it in your price range.
                  I custom build guitars/bodies. a custom guitar would run @ least close to 1 K. You can though, check Warmoth they have a replacement neck that will work in 25 1/2 scale but changes the scale to 26 1/2 Baratone, IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                  X