pick-up selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick-up selection

i am currently using the duncan tb-14 mostly and am curious how the e v h pick-up compares as far as bass/mids/highs, most of my guitars are alder bodies with maple necks and am looking for something that has slightly more lows and mids.

thanks in advance
    jon

don't know about the EVH, but i would try the Custom (tb-5) and the Invader (tb-8, the one with the allen bolts for pole peices.) it actually sounds really really good. with nice bass and mids and just enough highs to be clear but not brittle or harsh.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

thanks, i do have the custom in one of my others and it sounds good but it has a rosewood board which i think makes it sound good on the bass side, as far as the invader is defined in the mids or is it on the muddy side?

thanks

Comment

I took the TB-14 Custom 5 out of my Charvel Star and put in a DiMarzio Tone Zone... I definitely got more lows and mids out of it, love it.
        The Custom 5 seemed to be a little scooped in the mids and didn't seem all that great with the alder body and maple/maple neck.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i have tride the tone zone as well, it is one of my favorites, but i am trying to get the mids to be more pronounced and defined.

thanks
          jon

Comment

Maybe a Super 3 then?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i've tried the super 3 as well, and do like it but not with thicker gauge strings though, i usually put that in on my soloists with .009's if i use .010's i will go with the tone zone or tb-14.

i guess my question is how does the duncan evh pick-up compare directly with the tb-14 in the same guitar? has anyone switched between the two?

thanks
              jon

Comment

Working...
              X