Removing flat black paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing flat black paint

Turns out that my "I only wanted the tuners" guitar has a very nice bronze paint job underneath the matte black. Is there a way to remove the black and get to the bronze back? Thanks
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Possibly! Assuming the bronze is a "factory" finish it may be possible. If the black is a acrylic lacquer or enamel and the underlying is poly with a clearcoat, you may be able to remove the black with lacquer thinner and a lot of elbow grease. Once underneath the black, you can lightly wet sand with 800 grit the clear coat (if it's been clear coated, which would be most likely with a metallic finish) to remove the swirls and traces of black. Then follow the procedure of finer grits and buffing. If the bronze does not have a clear coat on top, your out of luck because the solvents/sanding/polishing may upset the metallics in the bronze. Good luck!
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

One more shot. Here is the oirginal paint.

Comment

Looks like something like Krylon or similar. That flat black should wipe off pretty easily. That color looks almost like a burgandy, or is it just the lighting?
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

go at the guitar with 400 wet sanding, you'll be done in ten mins.
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

It's a nice bronze color. I need to make sure I have a bridge that wii fit it before I get to really cleaning it up. Check out "I wanted the tuners". "Guitar by......."Any help one what the bridge would be is greatly appeciated.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
              go at the guitar with 400 wet sanding, you'll be done in ten mins.
              Down to a scratched up finish that will require more steps to shine up, and leave you with a thinner clear coat than if you do it Bengal65's way...

Comment

It's something like "I only wanted her to love me. I didn't mean to rape and kill her"
                I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Have removed 2 coats of paint from a old strat to save the factory sunburst. I used a combination of razor blades and carefully removed what I could then went to wetsanding with 600/ 800 grit when the paint was removed I went to 1000 grit then to 2000 grit then repolish with a no silicone/ wax product like the tan dupont polish and use a wool pad on a drill and polish, then move to a wax and polish with a foam pad last and hand wipe excess. Should look pretty good by then? Just be careful with the razor and dont apply much pressure, and dont try to remove all the black in one swipe(leave a film of blk. then wetsand). For tiny residue clean up spots try Naptha (lighter fluid) .

Comment

I just used 100 grit. I'm going for a distressed look. I guess.:ROTF:

Comment

100 Grit?

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                        I just used 100 grit. I'm going for a distressed look. I guess.:ROTF:
                        DUDE, WTF!!!!!!!!!! :ROTF: has a magenta to it.....
                        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Best tech thread ever!

Burgundy Mist, eh? At least you've got it good 'n roughed up for a rattle-can job. I suggest black Krylon.

Comment

I'll be a litlle nicer on the front.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                              Best tech thread ever!

Burgundy Mist, eh? At least you've got it good 'n roughed up for a rattle-can job. I suggest black Krylon.

Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                              Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                              Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Working...
                              X