Tone affected by switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone affected by switch?

A local music store had 5 way switches (USA made) fairly cheap, so I decided to replace the noisy one in my fusion (the one I have been trying to get a decent tone out of for months). First of all, now that I can actually see the switch contacts, wiring the switch was a breeze-I don't know how anyone wires the import ones-and second of all, the tone of this guitar has improved dramatically. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

Re: Tone affected by switch?

I take the position that absolutely everything in the signal path has some influence on the sound. Many times it may be beyond human perception, but professional tools (think your tuner against a strobe one) can make them visible/hearable. My opinion, though.

Comment

Without a good scientific test, this will be a pure opinion thread. Oxidation can certainly affect the sound, but IMO there are no differences between properly working switches. Many of these subtle differences can be chalked up to the placebo effect, IMO. But to each his own...

Comment

Different materials will produce a different sound.

Comment

An old switch could have a resistance value that could change the sound. I have had this same problem/solution myself. The new switch was zero ohms, while the old one had about 15 ohms of resistance. I would say it changed the amount of attack the guitar had, rather than coloring the sound.

Comment

Working...
          X