Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting used to and the benefits of jumbo frets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting used to and the benefits of jumbo frets?

I'm used to playing with normal sized frets...

When playing with jumbo frets its actually kind of hard for me. E.g. to slide... My fingers 'knock' against the frets quite heavily when I slide, and I tend to press a lot harder than I need to...

So this is something you get used to right? I'm already seeing some improvements in familiarity with jumbo frets, but I want to ask if anyone had similar experiences as well.

And what exactly are the benefits of jumbo frets? It almost feels like I'm playing a scalloped neck.

Re: Getting used to and the benefits of jumbo frets?

What are you playing? The guitar, I mean. I ask because I've found a difference between how I play / have to deal with Gibson frets (which I used to think were big, until I got my Model 5) and Charvel frets, which are huge.

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

a lot of people have troubel with the smaller frets and I guess they like the jumbo's because its easier to bend, at least to me.

switching froma fender medium sized frets, to a guitar with jumbo's isn't too big a deal for me. though you can't do too many legado slides on a jumbo equipped axe, i liked the feel of jumbos better. and 2 handed taps could be easier to perform on jumbo equipped guitars.

anyways, thats me though, correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.

good luck with your playing, bro [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Good question. I have a Warmoth-necked guitar with huge jumbo frets and other guitars with medium-sized frets, and I haven't really seen an advantage to the jumbos, in terms of making anything easier to play, sound better, etc. Either setup offers easy string bending, and the smaller frets do provide a smoother feel for moving up and down the neck.

Jumbos have been all the rage for some time now, and some players insist on them (e.g., SRV reportedly used bass frets on his Strats to get the biggest fret wire he could get), but I've never really understood why.

Comment

Up until about a year ago, I was a diehard "small frets or nothing" advocate. The jumbos always felt clumsy to me and I would go for the tiniest frets I could find. Then I decided to take a chance on a Model 2 because I could get it cheap in a pawn shop.

Here's what I've found to make a huge difference:

FRET POLISHING

Let's say you pick up two guitars; one with jumbos and one with smaller frets. Let's assume that they're both in about the same condition and have the same relative amount of grunge on the frets. In this case, to me at least, the smaller-fretted guitar will feel easier to play with a lot less "drag" on the frets. The jumbo-fretted guitar will feel like it's holding you back.

BUT.... do a decent fret polishing and the opposite effect takes over. Those jumbos, when polished to that "slick as glass" shine, will seem to take less effort to play than the standards.

This has been my experience, so your mileage may vary. I'm still amazed that I'm loving jumbo frets now.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

The problem you are having is that you are too heavy with your fret hand. Lighten your touch and you will see that jumbo's are a must if you are a shredder or a bender.

Comment

Calling them a "must" is a stretch. PLENTY of shredders use mediums. I do too, though I don't consider myself a shredder. Actually, with a light touch the fret height matters less from a feel perspective.

Comment

Here is my opinion on playing styles with different fret sizes. I have three guitars with that require different playing styles. The "normal" one for me is my Jackson JK-20 Kelly, I can just play normally and all is fine. The "smaller" one is a Squier Standard Strat, I have to be precise in how I place my fingers on the fretboard or the notes don't ring true. The "larger" one is one of the limited edition Ibanez Destroyers. For that one I have to think "light pressure" or else all of the fretted notes are sharp. Just my $.02! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Greenawalt:
                  Calling them a "must" is a stretch. PLENTY of shredders use mediums. I do too, though I don't consider myself a shredder. Actually, with a light touch the fret height matters less from a feel perspective.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jessie, most shredders use jumbo frets; 6100's usually, 22-24 fret necks,double locking trems rosewood or ebony boards (although it doesn't really matter with large tall frets) and heavy picks. They also prefer a wider flatter radius on the fretboard. Fret board material is not as important with jumbo frets because you are actually playing on the frets and not smashing the string into the fretboard when fretting a note. I do agree that polished clean frets make a world of difference. Especially with jumbo's.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jesse Greenawalt:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jessie, most shredders use jumbo frets; 6100's usually, 22-24 fret necks,double locking trems rosewood or ebony boards (although it doesn't really matter with large tall frets) and heavy picks. They also prefer a wider flatter radius on the fretboard. Fret board material is not as important with jumbo frets because you are actually playing on the frets and not smashing the string into the fretboard when fretting a note. I do agree that polished clean frets make a world of difference. Especially with jumbo's. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am well aware of the general preferences. But "most" doesn't mean "must". Satch, Malmsteen, Johnson, Vaughan, and pretty much any strat or paul player. That's a LOT of exceptions. A light touch (which is helpful when shredding) means you aren't mashing the string into the fretboard no matter the frets.

I'll agree that most shredders can be stereotyped by the preferences you cite. But to call ANY of them a "must" is outright wrong, since in the end they're just that - preferences - and there are many examples to prove you wrong.

Comment

After my medium MExican Strat frets, I found my new SL2HT frets to be Heaven. Seriously, I like that thick feel you get from them. However, to play fast, you can be either. Think Malmsteen and Randy: they both were on the opposite sides. THe fret height also matters. I hate small frets with low height. It just pisses me off. Well, large frets with small height would have the same effect. So, maybe, its the height people are after, rather than the fretwire gauge.

Comment

It doesn't matter what the size of the frets are on Malmsteens scalloped necks.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                          It doesn't matter what the size of the frets are on Malmsteens scalloped necks.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very true. I would guess, though, that the scalloped feel would be closer to jumbos.
                          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

And what exactly are the benefits of jumbo frets? It almost feels like I'm playing a scalloped neck.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think that's the attraction..that it feels scalloped, so you can easily grab the string and bend it, tap it, or whatever without touching the fret board...kinda like floating above the board, like a scalloped neck.

I agree with PowerTube in that polished frets make a world of difference in how a guitar plays especially one with jumbos on it.
                            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Guys, so I've been playing with the new Kelly with jumbo frets for a while. I must say... Large tall frets are almost a must for over the top shredding.

Regular frets are just fine for "slower" shredding. But for ultra fast runs at the speed of Angelo, Romeo, Jumbo frets are almost a must.

My touch is lighter than ever before, on both the pickign and fretting hand. My hands are so relaxed that if I relax it anymore, I'd drop the pick or lose the note. I think the large frets sort of forces you to be ultra-light, and thus making me improve on speed. Wow. 3 string sweeping sequences are such a joy with these frets... ahhh...

Although it did take me about a month to get used to it. Now I have no problems sliding at all. So the conclusion is: Jumbo frets kick ass!

Now back to Romeo style multi-string tapping arpeggios!

[ April 24, 2004, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: dfvxc ]

Comment

Working...
                              X