Angled headstocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angled headstocks

OK, so I understand that angled headstocks help keep the strings in the nut slots. So...why do Floyd guitars tend to have them (where they really don't provide any benefit) and non-locking nut guitars tend to not have them?!? Inquiring minds want to know. The reason for the question is these dang angled headstocks increase the likelihood of broken headstocks when dropped (which has happened to me ).

not so, gibson have headstock tilt. fenders don't have them which calls for string trees. They don't need a reason, they look better IMO.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Some angled headstock guitars have string trees like the ESP Kamikaze IV and is not necessary. Most tilt headstock guitars do not have string tree's only straight ones, like Charvel Strathead or Fender guitars. In most cases the angled headstocks are stronger, especially the Jacksons because of the scarf joint, glued headtock.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Most guitars with a floyd have a tilted headstock so when you lock down the nut the strings dont go sharp

Comment

Floyd nuts are slanted, so as vertigo said, when you tighten the nut the strings would go sharp unless you had a string retainer/tree or an angled head.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The other part is that a lot of the designs were more than likely done, based on non-locking trems or hard tail bridges. Changing the headstock design just because you now have a locking nut makes no sense from a production perspective.

Comment

A non locking nut needs a string angle from 11 to 17 degrees. Keeps the strings in the slots with enough down pressure to not rattle in the slot etc...

A strat head, the closer tuners provide the necessary angle, but the farthest tuners are not steep enough- hence the string trees.

You already saw the posts about the locking nut......

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Floyd nuts are slanted, so as vertigo said, when you tighten the nut the strings would go sharp unless you had a string retainer/tree or an angled head.
                That's a good point. However, aren't the nuts angled on account of the headstock being angled, and not the other way around? If the headstock were flat, why in the world would they design the nut to be angled? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Working...
                X