EMG 89's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 89's

I am wondering if anyone out there has an EMG 89 in the bridge? There seems to be some of you with it in the neck. If so, what do you think and how does it compare to the EMG 85? It seems their are a lot of converts with the 85 in the bridge.

EMG's site says in 'The dual-coil mode consists of two Alnico loaded coils opposite one another creating a pickup similar to the EMG-85.' How similar is it? I like the idea of having the ability to get that single coil sound but don't want to sacrifice in other ways.

It seems the 89 in the neck seems to be a good choice.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Re: EMG 89\'s

hello,
    2 of the tunes i have posted in the mp3 sec. (insynerator and evil ex-wife tune) are both done with an emg-89 in the bridge. it is my oldest pup,i have had that particular 89 since 1993,and it has been in all my fav. axes at one point or another.it is similar to an 85 but i think it sounds a little warmer,or chunkier,but thats just me.emg's are all i have used since 1986,and the 89 is my fav., i like it better than any of my 81's
    in the bridge.you couldn't go wrong with one
    MOSH ON
    DAVE
    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I use an EMG 89 in the neck fo my rhoads and its fucking beautiful.

I used it as a bridge pup in my warlock and it gives some awesome pinch harmonics.

Comment

I've got dual EMG 89's in my 750xl and they do a great job of producing chunky riffs and smooth leads, while cleaning up very well when split. I was hesitant about the EMG's because I tend to prefer passive Duncans but they were in the guitar when I got it. And I liked them enough not to swap them out.

Comment

I too have had a bridge 89 since about 1991 in my sticker guitar. It's got great gain, high-end clarity, and versatile when you split it to single mode. Overall a fine pickup and I actually like it better than the 81 I had in my Jackson Dinky. I've never played through a 85 so I can't compare it altough EMG says it's similar.

Comment

How much is a 89 worth?

Comment

$50 - $100 depending on condition and the desparation of the buyer.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ:
                2 of the tunes i have posted in the mp3 sec. (insynerator and evil ex-wife tune) are both done with an emg-89 in the bridge.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very nice work man! I love those tunes. They sound great. I think you sold me on the 89's. I figure that even if I want to switch them out with an 81 or something later that the EMG quick connect system will make it easy. I'll just have a push/pull pot that doesn't do anything.

Thanks everyone.
                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I have an 89 in the bridge of my 86 SD soloist and its by far the best EMG pickup. I wish I had them in the bridge of all my EMG loaded guitars. Its sound just like an 85 in the bridge and I like both(89&85) better than a 81 there.I've never figured out why everybody think 81 have a lot of highs they alway to me seem much darker than a 89 or 85.

Comment

Working...
                  X