firsttime fretboard cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firsttime fretboard cleaning

So I cleaned up the fretboard on my Predator last night.

I didn't have any lemon oil/bore oil/guitar fretboard cleaner, and it was too late to go to the store and get some, so I improvised! I figured if I ruined the neck then I have an excuse to order that custom Carvin I'm gassing for

First I tried using Windex All-Purpose cleaner. It has vinegar in it. This didn't really do anything except help loosen the finger junk. Next I tried Pledge. Holy crap, never use this on a fretboard! It dried it out in roughly five seconds and didn't clean a thing. Next I got out our other cleaner. It's made from "natural ingredients" and has sage and citrus in it. Using that and a toothbrush I was able to get the board pretty clean, but it was still really dry looking. So I went down and got some good old vegetable oil from the kitchen and rubbed that on with a paper towel. Let it sit about 5 minutes, wiped off the excess and the neck looks better than ever!
    Scott

Bad idea to use vegetable-based oil on your fingerboard... it'll rot the wood!

Use any kind of mineral oil... Vaseline, motor oil, baby oil, etc.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

all of a sudden, we are all cleaning our fretboards, are we? this is like the 5th thread about cleaning in the past couple of weeks.
      Sam

Comment

I'm not, mine are covers in fwoppjuice
        Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
          all of a sudden, we are all cleaning our fretboards, are we? this is like the 5th thread about cleaning in the past couple of weeks.
          Yeah I read all those threads and it got me into action.

Originally posted by toejam
          Bad idea to use vegetable-based oil on your fingerboard... it'll rot the wood!
          Explain?
          Scott

Comment

organic material promotes bacteria growth......... bacteria starts growing then it is all down hill from there.
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Oh no Your going to be growing a garden in that fretboard!
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Yeah, look at my dkm2-sl2h-kv3-rr1-asdf. Its screwed.

"when people say metal, they dont think bling bling they think stainless steel kitchen knife"
                I just made that quote..

Comment

maybe you can grow real "vine" inlays on your fretboard....just like the JEM's

Sam

Comment

wow, the inlay quality on the jems suck major ass.
                    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I've read that "food grade mineral oil" is ideal for use on a ebony fretboard (somebody chime in if I am mistaken). I guess if it won't fuck up your stomach, it won't fuck up your fretboard, either.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                        wow, the inlay quality on the jems suck major ass.
                        Thats not "missing filling in the blue"... they miss on purpose to give it
                        some 3D effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          some 3D effect.
                          Well, they failed .

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                            maybe you can grow real "vine" inlays on your fretboard....just like the JEM's

Wow, I have never seen that up close. Doesn't look good IMO.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                              some 3D effect.
                              i wouldn't care about the effect visually, i would care on how finger grime can collect in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X