Wiring schematic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring schematic question

Hey fellas, I'm "attempting" to oddball wire a Cort MGM Guitar utilising a third humbucker and I want to convert the volume knob into a push/pull knob to control the the N/B pups and coil tap them.
    I then want to use the tone or second knob as a push pull knob to activate the neck humbucker and double as a tone knob for the B/N pups when the knob is in the normal or down position.

I already wired it up but went wrong somewhere as both knobs are acting as volume knobs .

It seems like I'm half right as hhe Volume knob that the B/N are wired to IS tapping those pickups when I push/pull and controlling volume.

BUT, I can still turn the volume off by rolling the other tone knob off.

The tricky part here is the guitar came equipped with a 3 way toggle like a Les Paul.

So ultimately, I want the 3-way to work conventionally controlling the bridge and neck pups.
    I only want to be able to turn the middle hum on via the push/pull knob on the second knob.

Can Anyone help a brotha out?

Can someone draw up a schematic and email me with it?
    Or, I can email you my schematic and you can tell me where I went wrong.

email me here: [email protected]

Re: Wiring schematic question

So, you want no volume or tone controls on the 3rd pickup, right? You know that will probably sound like crap, don't you? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You should probably consider hardwiring a couple of resistors and a cap to emulate a couple of knobs set on 10. In fact, if I may be so bold, your taps may sound like crap too if you're using a 500K volume pot on them.

If you're trying to get a variety of sounds, you might consider this:
    - Forget about the 3rd pup.
    - Install a coil tap on each pup.
    - Put a push/pull on the volume and the tone. use one to tap the bridge pup, and the other to tap the neck pup.
    - Use the second circuit of one of the DPDT switches to wire a 500K resistor in parallel with the volume pot when the tap is in; this will give you a 250K pot, which is more appropriate to a single coil sound.

Tell us what kind of pups you have, so we know which color wires go where.

For just the bridge and necks pickups of your configuration see this: http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUHH3T1105. Wire the 3rd pup as follows:
    - Connect the braid (if present) and ground wire to ground.
    - Connect the hot lead to one of the center terminals on a push/pull switch.
    - Solder the other two leads together.
    - Run a jumper from either end terminal of the switch to the jack. The terminal you choose depends on whether you want the tap engaged in the push or the pull position.

Comment

Re: Wiring schematic question

Thanks for the tips bro. I'm actually wiring this for a friend.. I don't make suggestions because tone is relative.

I DO agree with you but it's ot my guitar and this is certainly not the path I would of chose.

Anyway, I figured out my issue and the guitar is alive and screaming. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X